advertisement

Integrated vs pre/power

I don't understand the argument stating to be any good, an integrated has to be a "behemoth" and heavy, thus making pre-amp & monoblocks a better option. My 325W monoblocks weigh 30kg each (though an article I've just referred to says they are 110 lbs each 50kg, I know I'm nowhere near strong enough to carry that much!) and one of my pre-amps is 20kg. My 400W integrated weighs 15.9kg. I just don't see weight as valid justification for which is more suitable. Whichever side you fall on it shouldn't be decided by weight as there's more than one option for each!

I don't think anyone was 'stating in order to be any good an integrated must be a behemoth ' , I certainly wasn't @Rick_F but your Jeff Rowland Integrated is a good example.
It's JR's 'entry level' Integrated weighing 15.9 kg, the entry level JR preamp is under 5Kg , the entry level poweramps are only a few Kg the next one up under 10kg. So easier handled (one hand) especially when placing in a shelf, not that the Integrated is that heavy at 16 kg but it's big bro is 45kg, I really wouldn't like to be trying to slide that onto a shelf:confused:,

I don't think anyone was 'stating in order to be any good an integrated must be a behemoth ' , I certainly wasn't @Rick_F but your Jeff Rowland Integrated is a good example.
It's JR's 'entry level' Integrated weighing 15.9 kg, the entry level JR preamp is under 5Kg , the entry level poweramps are only a few Kg the next one up under 10kg.
Because they are Class-D with SMPS otherwise they would be behemoth weight and size with that kind of power.

Now you have me curious, how so!?
Beautifully weighted, rate of change depends on how quickly you rotate the control, results displayed as +/-dB.

If your system's gain staging is correctly structured, it is perfect. Every recording has an ideal dB setting not far from 0 and if you keep notes in the file names you can set the volume before the music starts and be confident that it is just right.

I can see two reasons - the power amp being simply too big and heavy to be integrated into the pre amp, and the possibility to place (just) the power amp between the speakers.

The latter allows for all kinds of benefits, such as short speaker cables, better aesthetics & better acoustics (more free space around the speakers), being able to place the pre at a more convenient location (next to the chair/sofa?), etc.

I can see two reasons - the power amp being simply too big and heavy to be integrated into the pre amp, and the possibility to place (just) the power amp between the speakers.

The latter allows for all kinds of benefits, such as short speaker cables, better aesthetics & better acoustics (more free space around the speakers), being able to place the pre at a more convenient location (next to the chair/sofa?), etc.

That makes sense - though very few people seem to actually do that.

BTW - I don't really have any opinion on all this. I'm just curious how much it's an engineering decision and how much it's convention or marketing.

Short speaker cables, but long interconnects. That’ll be a trade off.

Whichever side you fall on it shouldn't be decided by weight as there's more than one option for each!

The weight of the component specifically amplifiers is one of the important considerations for me when shopping for a new amp. These days I will not consider any amp, preamp, power amp or integrateds that weigh more than 35 kg thereabouts. My preference or criteria is to be able to carry an amp alone, unaided. The heaviest amp I've owned is about 38 kg and I was still able to carry that alone, about 10 years ago. I can't say I could do that now.

Having said that, all the good huge and heavy amps which fall in my "dream list" will not make the cut not because of the weight alone, but the price (ie. Vitus SIA-030, 63 kg , £35k). So, it will not matter anyway.

The weight of the component specifically amplifiers is one of the important considerations for me when shopping for a new amp. These days I will not consider any amp, preamp, power amp or integrateds that weigh more than 35 kg thereabouts. My preference or criteria is to be able to carry an amp alone, unaided. The heaviest amp I've owned is about 38 kg and I was still able to carry that alone, about 10 years ago. I can't say I could do that now.

Having said that, all the good huge and heavy amps which fall in my "dream list" will not make the cut not because of the weight alone, but the price (ie. Vitus SIA-030, 63 kg , £35k). So, it will not matter anyway.

I guess you can rule out the Gryphon Apex then at 265kg :D:D

I guess you can rule out the Gryphon Apex then at 265kg :D:D

The HiFi equivalent of buying a big stupid truck.
images

advertisement

Back