advertisement

Integrated amplifiers with built-in streamer.

I’ve had my eye on the Lyngdorf mainly for the ‘Room Perfect’ processor, what didn’t you like about it?
I’ve still got it sitting here - unused though as a Luxman 590 is currently in play.

Room Perfect came into its’ own when I had normal box speakers in the system, I now have Martin Logans with built in ARC room correction for the bass where it makes most difference, I tried taking the Lyngdorf out and didn’t miss it.

Had several Lyngdorf units including the older 2170 and power dac amps, very nice kit with one of the best implementations of a volume control I’ve used.

NAD ?

Can’t remember model number but I’m sure there’s at least one that runs the BlueOS system/app

Gato amp with npm add on, might be too expensive but used prices around 17-1800 for a 250s NPM
M10. Many of the NAD integrateds have BluOS capability.

Love my Atom, the middle of a system that includes a P6 and Tannoy Cheviots. Works well with Spotify, AirPlay and analog.

I’m really happy with the two Sonos Amps I’ve been using for streaming and vinyl.

Linn have had this perfected for a very long time, they have the software nailed, with a wealth of native support for the major streaming services and an intuitive app that pulls them all together along with your own library. The hardware is also really well sorted and sounds great. It’s easily one of the most established high end platforms out there.

For less money, I like the Bluesound stuff, for the same reason as Linn, solid software and native support of streaming services, the hardware is great too, I’d look at a Powernode, it’s a neat product... I’ve still no idea why people would use Roon with Linn or Bluesound, because their own apps just work so well.

The current Naim Uniti products are excellent too, again, very well polished.

Linn have had this perfected for a very long time, they have the software nailed, with a wealth of native support for the major streaming services and an intuitive app that pulls them all together along with your own library. The hardware is also really well sorted and sounds great. It’s easily one of the most established high end platforms out there.

For less money, I like the Bluesound stuff, for the same reason as Linn, solid software and native support of streaming services, the hardware is great too, I’d look at a Powernode, it’s a neat product... I’ve still no idea why people would use Roon with Linn or Bluesound, because their own apps just work so well.

The current Naim Uniti products are excellent too, again, very well polished.

That's certainly not my experience of the Linn app/hardware. In common with many others, I found the app clunky and prone to connection/recognition problems. It was, by far, the worst I've experienced. Before anyone comments about network problems, I can assure all that this is not the case. In the same system, with same network and config many other apps/hardware worked/work first time, every time.

The reason why so many Linn users use Roon is to address connectivity problems, along with the desire for a far better interface than the Linn app.

Auralic and Naim have good apps, with Bluesound being very stable and easy to navigate. Roon is definitely a class above all, but does cost extra.

Reactions: RoA
That's certainly not my experience of the Linn app/hardware. In common with many others, I found the app clunky and prone to connection/recognition problems. It was, by far, the worst I've experienced. Before anyone comments about network problems, I can assure all that this is not the case. In the same system, with same network and config many other apps/hardware worked/work first time, every time.

The reason why so many Linn users use Roon is to address connectivity problems, along with the desire for a far better interface than the Linn app.

Auralic and Naim have good apps, with Bluesound being very stable and easy to navigate. Roon is definitely a class above all, but does cost extra.
I’ve used them for twelve years without any problems, as have many others but there you go... I used to use third party apps for control such as PlugPlayer because they worked better but I’ve used Linn’s own apps for a few years now, they’ve come a long way. Kazoo recognises the DS and my libraries in an instant. Roon isn’t worth the outlay for me, if I want to listen to something, I can find it and have it playing in seconds via the Linn app. I can’t fault it, hence why I mentioned it along with Bluesound and Naim (who have also come a long way).

Another happy Linn DS user, in the 13 years I have used the Linn DS I have never had a network issue, and that is the case in at least another 5 locations I know who use a Linn DS.

As above the Linn apps, Kinsky, Kazoo and the Linn App have come a long way since they first started.

Olan - not too bad thanks. Same old, same old and all that.:D
Thanks for the kind message you sent ages ago - I did read it in my email box.

Hope you are doing OK. Looking forward to Nuno being appointed?

Yamaha 803D any day of the week. Proper vfm.

I don't usually get caught up in the science of components as I am a listener, not a measurer. However, I have looked at this myself as it does seem to have an enviable array of features for the money. What I can't work out from the reviews is whether it's actually an AV component masquerading as an amp/streamer or the other way around.

I'd be using it exclusively as a 2ch unit - how good is it in that regard compared to other suggestions made like the Linn MDSM (always liked Linn's sound but put off by their overpricing) and Naim Uniti Atom?

I don't usually get caught up in the science of components as I am a listener, not a measurer. However, I have looked at this myself as it does seem to have an enviable array of features for the money. What I can't work out from the reviews is whether it's actually an AV component masquerading as an amp/streamer or the other way around.

I'd be using it exclusively as a 2ch unit - how good is it in that regard compared to other suggestions made like the Linn MDSM (always liked Linn's sound but put off by their overpricing) and Naim Uniti Atom?
A very good analogue amp with a digital section. I use mine in pure audio mode with the sub attached to the speaker outputs.

advertisement

Back