advertisement

[WTD] Integrated Amplifier

Hoopsontoast

pfm Member
Looking for an amp for the 2nd system, to go with some AE2s (or ATC SCM10s when I actually find a pair).

Thinking around another big battleship style amplifier such as the Denon PMA-2000AE or similar kind of thing (e.g Sony TA-F770ES if serviced). Accuphase/Luxman would be nice but probably out of price range.

A phono input is essential, an optical input would be nice but not essential. If its in champagne finish then all the better!

Budget around the £600-£700 mark, maybe a bit more.

What have you got?

Bloody heck Hoops! Wasn't that long ago your main system was Amstrad amp and wee Denton speakers! Have you become a Plasterer? Lol!

You can pick up a new Rotel RA1572 new for £650 or a mk2 for £800. I'm VERY pleased with my Rotel RAP1592.

Revox B250 120 W/ch/ 8 Ohms
Faultless
Afraid its not floating my boat.

Bloody heck Hoops! Wasn't that long ago your main system was Amstrad amp and wee Denton speakers! Have you become a Plasterer? Lol!
Not sure that was me, I've had a lot of stuff over the years but not an Amstrad amp and Wharfedale Denton speakers! :D

Denon PMA1600NE
A PMA1600NE would be ideal!

You can pick up a new Rotel RA1572 new for £650 or a mk2 for £800. I'm VERY pleased with my Rotel RAP1592.
Thanks, I'll have a look as I've not really had any experience with Rotel gear.

Afraid its not floating my boat.

Not sure that was me, I've had a lot of stuff over the years but not an Amstrad amp and Wharfedale Denton speakers! :D

A PMA1600NE would be ideal!

Thanks, I'll have a look as I've not really had any experience with Rotel gear.
I think at the prices at which you can pick up new Rotel gear, offers exceptional value for money.

Would my XTZ Class A100 D3 be of interest? Mine was used with my Kef Ref 3.2s and didn't disgrace itself... :D It hits plenty of your 'wants' - MM/MC phono stage, optical as well as 4(!) coax. digital inputs. Power-wise it will do:

2x50W 8 Ohm (Class A mode)
2x110W 8 Ohm
2x180W 4 Ohm
2x300W 2 Ohm

It's just had both output relays replaced by John Caswell as the right channel failed; I bought a Roksan K3 in the interim to 'tide me over'... I really like the K3 and will probably stick with it. I would keep the A100 D3 but it's a big chunk of an amp and I don't really have the space. It has a clean bill of health from John, I'd be happy with £450 for it (it's just had £200 of repairs). Alas it's in black, though...

I have a serviced Musical Fidelity A1 (with side vents) and the higher temperature capacitors > £250 and you have some budget left :)

Or a Rotel RA971 for £100 but you'd need an external phono stage for this as it has not got one.. budget available.. Or buy both and use the MF phono stage into the Rotel if you need more power than the 20W class A of the A1 ;)

advertisement

Back