advertisement

Integrated amp with PR*T

If you're able to stretch your budget a tiny bit more, do consider the EWA Claymore. Wonderful, smooth presentation that nevertheless has all the "slam" and speed you might want.

I auditioned it almost exclusively with rock, electronic and ambient. The only reason I didn't buy it is that I went for one of their power amps instead.

A nice idea! Thanks :)

would like something like the Naim sound but without the speaker cable restrictions.

Not sure how many meter cable you run ?
The later Naim amps are not that sensitive as you might know.

Say a Nait 5Si has all the Prat needed.
Maybe a Superuniti if you need the radio/stream/DAC options ?
I have used my SU with 3M Chord cables with no issue even I am a believer of longer length.

As others have recommended, the Farlowe amps are certainly good, if you can find a cared XV/XX and have it recapped.

A long story ...

• 2006 - Saturn>Nac82>nap150X feeding Rega speakers. Loved it!
  • 2009 - Moved house
  • 2010 - still loving the system!
  • 2011 - annus horribilis (head injury/concussion & sudden death of my music mentor)
  • 2015 - Sold Rega speakers to fund Quave LS1 which I had always wanted to try (lovely open sound, but very sensitive which i struggled to find amps to match)
  • 2016 - Moved house
  • ??? - upgraded to Saturn R at some point!
  • 2017 - Sold 82/150 and tried tissbury passive pre>NAP200 but speakers still not happy
  • 2021 - Moved house
  • 2021 - Tried townsend allegri plus passive pre>NAP200, speakers still not happy
  • 2021 - Decided I wanted to get out of the Naim game (don't like being restricted to 3.5m speaker cables!), sold NAP200
  • 2021 - Sold Quave LS1, bought Spendors

So I now have a Saturn R and the Spendors ... would like something like the Naim sound but without the speaker cable restrictions. Last fond memories of system were pre 2011 - it's hard to know whether gear changes reduced my satisfaction, house moves, or the events of 2011.
Slow, overblown bass? The A6s are ported, right? Can I presume you've tried pulling them further from the wall?

Are Spendors still known for the "BBC sound"? I bought a pair of Spendor LS3/5as a little while ago, the idea being to make a nice period system of a wood trimmed Planar 3 & teak A&R A60 with the teak Spendors. It turned out the A60 didn't work with the LSs. Overblown, tuneless bass & a generally muddy sound. Disappointing. But an early 90s Yamaha amplifier bought the speakers to life. I feel its drier bass and more neutral tone was responsible for this. The Yamaha is also more detailed than the A60. So perhaps an amplifier of Yamaha's character could be the answer - if not a Yamaha. I'd expect all midrange Yamahas to sound similar as they've all used variations on the same circuit since about 1990. I'm pretty happy with mine.

Slow, overblown bass? The A6s are ported, right? Can I presume you've tried pulling them further from the wall?

Are Spendors still known for the "BBC sound"? I bought a pair of Spendor LS3/5as a little while ago, the idea being to make a nice period system of a wood trimmed Planar 3 & teak A&R A60 with the teak Spendors. It turned out the A60 didn't work with the LSs. Overblown, tuneless bass & a generally muddy sound. Disappointing. But an early 90s Yamaha amplifier bought the speakers to life. I feel its drier bass and more neutral tone was responsible for this. The Yamaha is also more detailed than the A60. So perhaps an amplifier of Yamaha's character could be the answer - if not a Yamaha. I'd expect all midrange Yamahas to sound similar as they've all used variations on the same circuit since about 1990. I'm pretty happy with mine.

The spendors are a new acquisition, bought on a punt., not tried yet

I'd like an integrated amp that makes music fun. Speakers are spendor A6…….

On this side of the pond, I’ve auditioned SPENDOR speakers several times at the major audio shows. SPENDORs have been usually paired up with an EXPOSURE integrated amp, and curiously, specifically with VAN DEN HUL cables. It was the exhibitor’s comment to me that the VDH’s was their best choice as a synergy match for SPENDOR/EXPOSURE.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/bluebird-music-spendor-and-exposure
https://www.bluebirdmusic.com/events/salon-son-and-image-show-report--montreal-2.html

This setup is also present in a mag review
. https://www.stereophile.com/ssi2009/spendor-exposure-van_den_hul/index.html

@Neil P Out of curiosity, why are the speaker cable restrictions such an issue? IME, you'll be hard pushed to find anything as, let alone more, foot-tappinlgy musical and fun than Verker era Naim (and yes, contrary to the views of some Naim-bashers, I have tried lots of alternatives over the years! :)). As ever, though, YMMV.

As for alternatives, however, the usual suspects e.g. Farlowe era Exposure, NVA, spring to mind, but they, too, have cable requirements.

Having said that, I'd be inclined towards e.g. Epos ES11 or something from Neat, rather than Spendor, in respect of the aforementioned performance characteristics that you're after?

@Neil P Out of curiosity, why are the speaker cable restrictions such an issue? IME, you'll be hard pushed to find anything as, let alone more, foot-tappinlgy musical and fun than Verker era Naim (and yes, contrary to the views of some Naim-bashers, I have tried lots of alternatives over the years! :)). As ever, though, YMMV.

As for alternatives, however, the usual suspects e.g. Farlowe era Exposure, NVA, spring to mind, but they, too, have cable requirements.

Having said that, I'd be inclined towards e.g. Epos ES11 or something from Neat, rather than Spendor, in respect of the aforementioned performance characteristics that you're after?

I'm just fed up of excess cable (my speakers are only 2m from the amp) coiled or concertinaed. No scope to have system on a side or real wall either.

FWIW..... I make a small in line box which removes all requirements for specific speaker cables or lengths with Naim and similar units.

Yeah yeah if it was that simple Naim would have done it and it must cause severe degradation of sound.... I'm well aware that nothing I say will persuade anyone otherwise so.... whatever...:rolleyes:

Sounds like people are just shouting out random amplifier brand names now.
My experience FWIW is you won't go far wrong with a Naim Nait 5si. One of the most enjoyable amps I've owned but ultimately a little too much PRaT for my taste although I feel like one for saying it out loud. As far as I am aware there are no particular cable requirements with the 5si, don't recall reading anything in the manual about cable lengths.
TS

Hope I've got the right review....A glowing review from What hifi back in 2009...BUT, they say - "Shortcomings are few. Like any virtuoso, the A6s are relatively picky about partnering equipment – any flaws in your sources or amplification won't be mercilessly pounced on, but observations will definitely be made."

I wonder if your budget and source is good enough for 2k speakers cica 2009. Just saying....

. I later found that the Naim doesn't quite match the Marten and brought a Luxman in specifically for the Marten. The Luxman/Marten has a lot of PRaT!!

I later tried the Luxman with the Harbeth and the PRaT was gone with the wind! Go figure.".
Weirdly my Luxman gives oodles of PRaT with my P3ESRs, maybe it’s as much a room thing as anything else?

A nice idea! Thanks :)
I have an old Inca Tech Claymore that I was told had been serviced fairly recently that I may well be selling in a week or so as its not being used...
No marketing guff with this one, its a Colin Wonfor product!
Not sure what it's worth, but way under budget, around £300..

I wonder whether when describing how our systems sound that we're all on the same level, as I find Spendor speakers - the two that I've tried anyway - mini monitors and S7, quite dull. I find it helps if you describe your musical tastes, as valves/Audio note speakers for instance are gonna be great for acoustic music, but not that great for heavier fare like symphonic classical, or rock, though I'm sure people will disagree with me on that. Another factor is listening volume and expectations in general.

advertisement

Back