advertisement

Integrated Amp Overkill?

oldson

pfm Member
am looking to upgrade my Marantz PM7003, not because i need to, just want to try something further up the ladder.

having recently bought a Rega P8 and Aria phono stage, i want to get the best out of it.

part of me wants to stick with Rega for choice of amp, but open to others. (ie Roksan K3 or Caspian)
my obvious choice would be the Elex-r, but i have seen the next model up, the Elicit-r available for not much more money on the used market.

my problem is, i use nearfield monitors (Dynaudio M10) so will never push an amp of this calibre.
so i know this is massive overkill, but are there any drawbacks to doing this other than the obvious overspend (which i can live with)?

looking only at used market, so i can move it on if things dont work out without losing too much.

If your sticking with Rega I would definitely go with the Elicit. Would compliment the Aria stage very nicely and your M10s will appreciate it. I wouldn't worry about "overkill" in the slightest.
The only curve ball I'd throw your way is a Yamaha AS1100 or AS1200 depending on your budget. Has lovely analogue character, very vinyl friendly. I have the AS1200 and love it to death. Purely analogue with no digital inputs which is a deal breaker for some.

If your sticking with Rega I would definitely go with the Elicit. Would compliment the Aria stage very nicely and your M10s will appreciate it. I wouldn't worry about "overkill" in the slightest.
The only curve ball I'd throw your way is a Yamaha AS1100 or AS1200 depending on your budget. Has lovely analogue character, very vinyl friendly. I have the AS1200 and love it to death. Purely analogue with no digital inputs which is a deal breaker for some.

The Yamaha amps look amazing and I would certainly be tempted but I imagine they would be seldom seen used and probably a tad expensive.
My budget can stretch to £1k but I do mean stretch.
There is an Elicit on ebay atm for £850 and I am sorely tempted.

I think the M10s will appreciate a full fat front end. I’d make sure they are on stands if possible to get the best effect.

I'll be honest, the main advantage of bigger, more powerful amplifiers is the ability to go louder and drive difficult speakers.

If you're listening near-field I doubt a bigger amplifier will make a very noticeable difference. Amplifiers are quite simple things, it doesn't seem that difficult to make a good one and of all the components in the chain, amplifiers are where the smallest differences are. In terms is quality anyway. High quality low powered amps are not expensive. What you're often paying for in a more expensive amp is an increase in power while retaining the same quality.

Years ago I used a Rotel RA820 in place of my Naim 72/hicap/250 while the 250 was away getting serviced and at low volume I couldn't tell much difference. I know someone who found the same thing substituting a Naim Nait2 for his 52/135s.

What you do find is that amplifiers can have different types of sound. So while amps with a similar type of sound might not differ too much in quality you might prefer one that sounds different from the Marantz. For example Naim and Rotel and a lean, punchy sound. Linn and Arcam are softer. I think Marantz and Yamaha are in between. For low level music I think punchy and detailed sounds best. My son had a Cyrus1 and it sounded weedy and lost trying to fill a room but it was fantastic at low volume near-field.

there is so much choice out there its mind boggling.
personally i do prefer a slightly warmer sound signature so maybe from the Rega camp the Elex-r would make more sense than Elicit-r. (have read that some say the Elicit sounds more bright than its lesser siblings).
looking at the used market so no chance of home trials. will have to base it on reviews and user opinions.
i will rule out Naim and Rotel based on Mr Pig's comment.(and Audiolab, from what i have read elsewhere.)
Roksan, Arcam and Exposure are interesting along with Marantz and Yamaha.
so much choice

i do prefer a slightly warmer sound signature so maybe from the Rega camp the Elex-r would make more sense than Elicit-r.

Elicit/R is more revealing while Elex/R sound less transparent and more pleasing to ear.
Indeed those two amps are different

Your frontend is really up there depending on cartridge fitted.

Good price on Elicit if its an /R.
Never heard M10 but Dynaudio usually sound slightly laid back but natural, need a proper amp, distance to wall and furniture needed.

I agree with Mr Pig apart from one thing: all Dynaudios I’ve listened to (not many tbh) have sounded better with bigger amps.
I'm less convinced by his argument, TBH. I think so many small loudspeakers only really show their true mettle when driven by properly good amplifiers. 'Good' doesn't always mean 'more powerful' of course, but budget 'giant killer' standmounts rarely kill many giants on the end of budget amps. So my thinking would be that the Dynaudios will almost certainly up their game when driven by a better amp.

Elicit/R is more revealing while Elex/R sound less transparent and more pleasing to ear.
Indeed those two amps are different

Your frontend is really up there depending on cartridge fitted.

Good price on Elicit if its an /R.
Never heard M10 but Dynaudio usually sound slightly laid back but natural, need a proper amp, distance to wall and furniture needed.

cart is Ania-pro and i am extremely happy with that. gonna sell on my nearly new Exact as a result.

advertisement

Back