advertisement

Innuos Zen - from Mini Mk 1 to Zenith Mk 3

S-Bar

pfm Member
Does anyone have any experience in using different Innuos models?

I am still using an old ZenMini Mk 1 with Nikola PSU and it sounds pretty well in my system. I remember buying it years ago when they just started and was taken aback by how good it sounded compared to my beloved Resolution Audio Opes 21GNSC player.

I am looking at several options to upgrade to a Zen with their own innOS software .

I consider anything from a Mini Mk2 to possibly Zenith Mk 3 and wonder what kind of SQ progression should I expect climbing this ladder.

The system is DAC V1, Lavardin IT and Zingali Overture 2

Is there a significant jump in SQ between ZenMini Mk 1 and Mk 2 ? Mk 2 and Mk 3 ?

Unlike Mk 2, Mk3 incorporates a DAC, that I don't need, so I wonder where did they save and cut corners compared to Mk 2 ?

Also, since I have a good linear PSU, is there any significant SQ difference between Mini Mk3+PSU and Zen Mk 2/3 ?

Last edited:
When I asked Sean Jacobs who makes the latest PSUs, there was a bigger leap from Mini/PSU > Zen than from Zen to Zenith.

There have been a few Innuos spats of late. Your best bet is probably to go have a listen and see what you think.

I compared Zen 3, Zenith 3 and Statement and the steps were noticeable. All were good, the Statement exceptional, but the sweet spot, for me, was Zenith.

I am still using an old ZenMini Mk 1 with Nikola PSU and it sounds pretty well in my system. I remember buying it years ago when they just started and was taken aback by how good it sounded compared to my beloved Resolution Audio Opes 21GNSC player.

I have a regular Opus 21 and have followed ,any Innuos threads regarding sound quality.
Your's is the first to hear an improvement over a CD player, a zen mini at that, in what way does it improve thae sound??

I have a regular Opus 21 and have followed ,any Innuos threads regarding sound quality.
Your's is the first to hear an improvement over a CD player, a zen mini at that, in what way does it improve thae sound??

I wouldn't say it is an outright improvement, but the resolution, dynamics and emotional impact are all up there. Where it betters the Opus 21 in my system is the bass dynamics/clarity and as a result it has a better midrange body/presence/imaging. Then again I am using the Naim DAC so that would be probably expected.

To say that Opus sounds softer and a bit anaemic compared to ZEN/Naim DAC would be harsh, as it simply has a different sound, but let's be honest, it has never been a bass champion. Where Opus 21 sounds etheral and exquisite, ZEN/Naim prefers earthy realism and midrange presence.

I actually never rated RA Opus 21 highly in any particular aspect be it dynamics or a soundstage, it is just the whole sonic palette that is special. I had various sources, some were so-so like Ayre and (don't kill me) Trivista, some were interesting like Meitner's old Museatek, others were excellent, like Reymio DAC or Burmeister CDP, but Opus 21 remained the most musical, even though others beat Opus hands down in many aspects. I had a regular Opus, sold it, regretted, and eventually came back to it in a modded version. So what struck me most probably with ZEN, is that I haven't lost much in pure musicality and gained in some areas which I never expected from a streamer. (We are talking about ripped flac files via USB to a DAC).

I have been using it for 6 years in a classic Lavardin IT/ Living Voice OBX-RW system, now I also have a pair of old Zingali Overture 2, these are more revealing, and I'd say they love ZEN. That actually made me think about the upgrade.

I don't know the rest of your system and room acoustics quality, but I think whatever ZEN you choose you won't be disappointed. You will probably find yourself using Zen most of the time.

Hope it helps.

I compared Zen 3, Zenith 3 and Statement and the steps were noticeable. All were good, the Statement exceptional, but the sweet spot, for me, was Zenith.

I resist spending insane money on hi-fi these days, so to me the sweet spot is Zenith Mk 2 / ZEN Mk 3. And the main question is: out of these two which one to go for?

I wouldn't say it is an outright improvement, but the resolution, dynamics and emotional impact are all up there. Where it betters the Opus 21 in my system is the bass dynamics/clarity and as a result it has a better midrange body/presence/imaging. Then again I am using the Naim DAC so that would be probably expected.

To say that Opus sounds softer and a bit anaemic compared to ZEN/Naim DAC would be harsh, as it simply has a different sound, but let's be honest, it has never been a bass champion. Where Opus 21 sounds etheral and exquisite, ZEN/Naim prefers earthy realism and midrange presence.

I actually never rated RA Opus 21 highly in any particular aspect be it dynamics or a soundstage, it is just the whole sonic palette that is special. I had various sources, some were so-so like Ayre and (don't kill me) Trivista, some were interesting like Meitner's old Museatek, others were excellent, like Reymio DAC or Burmeister CDP, but Opus 21 remained the most musical, even though others beat Opus hands down in many aspects. I had a regular Opus, sold it, regretted, and eventually came back to it in a modded version. So what struck me most probably with ZEN, is that I haven't lost much in pure musicality and gained in some areas which I never expected from a streamer. (We are talking about ripped flac files via USB to a DAC).

I have been using it for 6 years in a classic Lavardin IT/ Living Voice OBX-RW system, now I also have a pair of old Zingali Overture 2, these are more revealing, and I'd say they love ZEN. That actually made me think about the upgrade.

I don't know the rest of your system and room acoustics quality, but I think whatever ZEN you choose you won't be disappointed. You will probably find yourself using Zen most of the time.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for that detailed reply, I think you nailed the essence of the Opus 21, it does everything well without excelling or offending in any area.
Perhaps its time to audition the Zen / Zenith, I have all my music on a NAS but I do like putting on a CD and listening to my headphone system mostly.
I do have a CAPS streamer which runs windows 7 and the Chord qbd76 DAC driver software ,this excelled at base but the front end of the Computer interface is unstable, from other user reviews this is where Innuos excel's
How would the Innuos drive my Chord Dac software wise anyone know??

Thanks for that detailed reply, I think you nailed the essence of the Opus 21, it does everything well without excelling or offending in any area.
Perhaps its time to audition the Zen / Zenith, I have all my music on a NAS but I do like putting on a CD and listening to my headphone system mostly.
I do have a CAPS streamer which runs windows 7 and the Chord qbd76 DAC driver software ,this excelled at base but the front end of the Computer interface is unstable, from other user reviews this is where Innuos excel's
How would the Innuos drive my Chord Dac software wise anyone know??

And btw one of the reasons I bought ZEN in 2014 was that the CD driver gave up the ghost ( that's the one thing that can go wrong with Opus). It is DSL-710A, and they were cheap as chips and easy to replace and flush, but discontinued long ago. It took me an awful lot of time and effort to find one. Now I have a spare one too, just for the peace of mind.

I just saw one on eBay to my great surprise, made in 2005. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=273642118250

So if you are keeping your Opus, it makes sense to buy two ))

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have, the improvement was both immediate and significant. It gets close to a Zen I would say, but the Zen has the edge.

Great choice, it's a cracking bit of kit. I've been following a thread on the green place that eulogises the Melco range - they're perfectly alright but a real faff in comparison to the equivalent Innuos.

advertisement

Back