advertisement

Innuos - best CD ripping solution

This is always my concern. I have thought about ripping but I’m not convinced that the time spent or tedium involved will be worthwhile. I do intend to put my cds and covert art into slipcases though. I still value cd replay. All renderers have their qualities, whether vinyl, streaming, fm or cd.
If there had been streaming when I ripped my cds I doubt I would have bothered, with most of them at least. Some music becomes part of your life, other stuff is just transient. I’ve never listened to a lot of the stuff I ripped. Streaming opens up so many possibilities.

If you want similar levels* of audio performance to your CDX for replay then you will need the Zenith. Novafidelity is also excellent and easier to use as you have 3 way's of controlling it: a remote control, phone/tablet with their app, or the front panel controls using the display. This is very important as nearly all the problems with these types of devices are due to wifi issues, so the front panel controls and separate remote eliminate these issues. I have and use both Innuos and Novafidelity here in our demonstration studio.

* note: no streamer or server will be able to achieve the same level of audio performance as a good CD player or CD transport and DAC.
When I got my Zen, I compared it with my Primare CD32 player, using the CD32 as a transport. Both units were connected to the internal DAC on my Primare pre60.
They both sounded identical to my ears and that of a number of friends who called around.
Where things went a bit astray was when I compared both units, with the CD32 using its own internal DAC. I preferred the CD32 over the Zen, despite the supposed superiority of the DAC in the pre60. I have moved the CD32 on as I have no need for a player, having ripped all my CD's to the Zen. So I am now on the hunt for a DAC that will replicate or better, the CD32 DAC. A tall order as I have no idea where to start, as I am pretty ignorant in that regard.

advertisement

Back