advertisement

Info on valve applications for audio

RichShortland

pfm Member
Hello all,
I'm considering a lampizator valve output stage for a project whilst stuck at home.
I'd like to find out more background about using valves in audio applications though before I start.
Any suggestions for some useful online reading/info?
Many thanks in advance,
Richard

Hello all,
I'm considering a lampizator valve output stage for a project whilst stuck at home.
I'd like to find out more background about using valves in audio applications though before I start.
Any suggestions for some useful online reading/info?
Many thanks in advance,
Richard

Have fun. A great way to learn about valves, this.

I've read a lot about valve circuits over the last 35 years, but everything I have is in French, sorry.

I'd use ECC83 valves for a project like this. My favourite double-triode.

But bear in mind that an ubiquitous 5532 is vastly superior to any Lampizator stuff.
Also, what will you do with CDs that have pre-emphasis?
Abyway, what you will hear is added distorsion, but perhaps you'll like it?

Last edited:
As Jim audiomisc alluded to, "The Radiotron Designers Handbook" is the dogs dangly bits. and yes it is readily available for free on line.

~20 years ago HFW had a regular DIY supplement with numerous designs by Andy Grove

Foundations of Wireless by M.G. Scroggie - I have a 1943 edition

Have fun. A great way to learn about valves, this.

I've read a lot about valve circuits over the last 35 years, but everything I have is in French, sorry.

I'd use ECC83 valves for a project like this. My favourite double-triode.

But bear in mind that an ubiquitous 5532 is vastly superior to any Lampizator stuff.
Also, what will you do with CDs that have preamphasis?
Abyway, what you will hear is added distorsion, but perhaps you'll like it?

Hi, I'm hoping to make a valve output stage for a Lite DAC-AH, like this one... http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator/REFERENCES/AH DAC/AHDAC.html

Just replaces the op-amp output that's already there

R

Can't find it right now but I did see a design for an output stage using the ECC86. They're a bit difficult to find now but these valves were designed for car radios and could work with an HT supply as low as 12v. Have never tried one so no idea whether they would sound good or not, but experimenting is always fun especially with no high voltages involved. Another good resource for ideas is the tube forum at diyaudio.com

advertisement

Back