advertisement

Infinity IRS beta in lovely condition - and high price!!

Darren

So gentle when he tries to understand.
These.
Great condition, Huge and price and performance. Servo Controlled Bass. Ribbon tweeters and mid. Two boxes per side. Now doubtless unobtanium drivers all round.
But so redolent of the eighties American High End and beloved of Harry Pearson.

One of my grail speakers...... sigh.....

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

Infinity speakers sold far, far better in Europe than here in the UK (I bought my 7 Kappa from Brentwood HiFi and they may have been the only outlet????). Some of the drivers are reasonably available from salvavge/rebuilds in NL/D.
The only driver that I know not to be is the dome mid range,although there is a close equivalent.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The most astonishing audio experience of my life remains without doubt the IRS V. Awesome is an understatement.

So far as I recall their speakers designed for home use always got excellent reviews, so it has always struck me as very odd that when they became part of Harman (or was it the departure of Arnie Nudell?), or thereabouts, the home hifi speakers were largely? totally? ditched in favour of systems for boats/cars and the like. That said, this impression may be coloured by their lack of availability in the UK.

I auditioned my 7Kappa against 3-4 speakers, including a Tannoy, which I did not like at all. This would probably have been early 90's

In line with the original Infinity approach, the original Kappa series (a name now used for car speakers) were advertised and sold as "bookshelf speakers", although I never saw this mentioned in the UK, except in their literature. 8 Kappa are 47 x 21 x 8 inches - I can't find a weight for them, but they must be 20+(+)kg.

Infinity speakers sold far, far better in Europe than here in the UK (I bought my 7 Kappa from Brentwood HiFi and they may have been the only outlet????).
Canterbury Hi Fi sold Infinity in the late 70/early80s, when I worked there with Ken Kessler. Never sold any IRS pairs, though KK extolled their virtues. They wouldn't have fitted in the small shop!

advertisement

Back