advertisement

Industrial museums in North England info

Don't bother with the Great North Museum. Not much of interest. I'd go to the discovery museum which has the original Turbinia in. Also drive a bit further north and visit Cragside for the Hydroelectricity generation.

This in Bradford
https://www.scienceandmediamuseum.org.uk/

lasst time I went it was a super history of photography - but that was in 1998, I have heard that it is much expanded since.

It's a shadow of what it used to be. It now seems to be mainly orientated towards children. Nothing wrong in that, but not what I'm looking for. There's usually an exhibition or two on, so it's worth checking just in case.

The science and industry museum in Manchester mentioned by Tony is superb, and worth a visit if you have any interest in, err, science or technology. There's an aircraft museum next door. The only problem I can see would be parking. On street parking is usually full and it's very expensive.

Myself and a long-suffering pal are planning a tour of industrial museums coming down from Scotchland as far as Bolton. We will be travelling by campervan - sorry motorhome - as his missus insists on calling it. So far we have an itinerary including:

Beamish Open Air Museum,
Great North Museum, Newcastle
Bolton Steam Museum and
Queen Street Mill Textile Museum, Burnley.

The jaunt is expected to last a week sometime in May or June. If anyone can recommend any further additions to the list above it might prevent us from spending most of our time in the local Wetherspoons!

with beamish - ideally you'll need a full day - hopefully the weather will be decent... when you buy tickets for there - they last you a year so worth baring that in mind.. you can buy some nice bread and fish and chips there too :)

and while you're in Newcastle, there is also this museum, it's not massive, and will only take about 3-4 hours - https://discoverymuseum.org.uk/ - parking should be fine here, but it can be a nightmare at the hancock (Great North Museum) especially if the kids are off / weekend etc...

You really have to visit Cragside, which links in with The Turbinia. It was the first house to be powered by Hyrdoelectricity and lots of the original machines are there and working. Inside the house are the original lamps with Swans incandescent bulbs. without the mercury!
Beamish is a whole day as is Cragside.

Plus one for Cragside. If the rhodedendrons are out, they, and the carriage walk, are well worth seeing, aside from the house and early electrification things of interest.

advertisement

Back