advertisement

Indoor Television Aerial Recommendations Please

Copperjacket

pfm Member
We currently have building work underway and can’t therefore access the Aerial points in a couple of rooms.

Rather than stringing several new temporary cables, can anyone please recommend me a very good indoor TV aerial as we are in an area of fairly poor reception - we are in East Lothian but our TV signal is coming from the Durris transmitter near Aberdeen.

Many thanks

I may be mistaken, but I have a feeling that in the pre-digital age one could jury-rig an indoor antenna, even a coat-hanger, but with today's digital transmissions you need something that provides a clearer signal. I would think it all depends on what signal you are getting. Maybe you could ask a local shop that sells TVs?

For the spare room i use an old standard aerial placed on top of the wardrobe; works well until someone knocks it.

When the furniture was arranged differently i could get a line to Crystal Palace about 70 miles away through the window but now it's pointing to a nearer transmitter through a thick brick wall.

I have doubts about the efficacy of wasting (?) money on an indoor digital antenna in your location. Surely it's easier to stick a long coax (with plugs!) into the nearest existing and route it to where your TV is. Having said that, if your wall socket is quite old (and esp. from analogue days), the signal from that may not be the best, even if you have a high-mounted super digital array on your chimney.

We currently have building work underway and can’t therefore access the Aerial points in a couple of rooms.

Rather than stringing several new temporary cables, can anyone please recommend me a very good indoor TV aerial as we are in an area of fairly poor reception - we are in East Lothian but our TV signal is coming from the Durris transmitter near Aberdeen.

Many thanks
Can't figure how ye only get the Durris Transmitter. Yev got half the Lothians and the whole of Tayside between you and Aberdeenshire? 🤔

Can't figure how ye only get the Durris Transmitter. Yev got half the Lothians and the whole of Tayside between you and Aberdeenshire? 🤔
That’s a very fair question.

A significant part of the problem is the fact we are surrounded by trees and there is woodland between us and the other transmitters. The issue is when the sap in the trees rise and the trees come into leaf, the nearer signals deteriorate and become unwatchable

I have doubts about the efficacy of wasting (?) money on an indoor digital antenna in your location. Surely it's easier to stick a long coax (with plugs!) into the nearest existing and route it to where your TV is. Having said that, if your wall socket is quite old (and esp. from analogue days), the signal from that may not be the best, even if you have a high-mounted super digital array on your chimney.
Again a fair point. Not wanting to leave doors open - dogs and dust or tripping up means it’s worth giving it a go.

Its now 20 odd years ago since the aerial was last adjusted so it seems sensible to try a decent indoor aerial and give it a go.

The advantage of using Amazon means if it doesn’t work I will simply send it back.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This used to be the best seller on Amazon a few years ago.
Pretty much a no=brainer for £24, function or return. 80 km (50 miles) is amazing, unless tested in the American prairies, Argentinian pampas or the steppes of central Asia ! :D

advertisement

Back