advertisement

IncaTech Retro Claymore

I think the reason the ES14 is sometimes thought of as a difficult load is because, rather than being a low impedance design it is a high impedance load over much of its range and so does not encourage the amp to deliver current. At the same time the bass needs a strong grip and the tweeter/crossover slope is not kind to distortion and/or clipping.

Erm... that makes it a spectacularly easy load! ES14 is easy to drive...

I have the apps note that Steve Langdon wrote with help from JLH. Used to work with Steve many moons ago at Tosh, great guy but he sadly passed away too early (cancer :-().

Wish I'd got a few boxes of 2Sk389s and the P-channel and single versions instead of the 20 or so pcs I have. Same for the few Tosh bipolars I have, wish I'd known!!
Bring back green PNPs!

In fact... if I had a box of 2SK389s for every time somebody said "allright Tosh..." to me...

Yeah Toshiba made some of the best ever semiconductors for audio. Just a pity they made everything we most want to buy obsolete and didn't replace them with anything!

I have another class A amp prototype running here with 3 pairs of 2Sk1529 and the green 2SJ200's per channel.. obviously being excellent devices and intended for audio they are... yep, unobtainium now! Still have a few spares.... when I get one of those round tuit's I'll use some of the spares to replace a couple of "flyers" in that amp that are running maybe 40% higher or lower bias than the others...

That's my usual supplier yes but I only buy small quantities and go for the To3 dual die version.... £15 each! Planning on using 3 pairs per channel in my latest class A power amp.... £180 for just the output transistors! up and running very nicely with 1 pair at the moment... good thing I have enough free samples left from years ago of Keith Persin, the MD at Profusion;) (i used to put work their way at Alchemist and then at a later EE job in non hi fi audio)

It won't be for sale.... I continue to design and build high end hi fi (and always will) but only for my own use... for the time being (Arkless 640P still available).

I have my stash of Hitachi 2sj55 and 2sk175s to keep me in projects for a while.

That’s what I’d have thought too, in fact it would be interesting to try them with a nice valve amp! I always felt there was a half decent speaker in there somewhere, but let down by the metal tweeter and rather flubby bass-loading.

That’s what I’d have thought too, in fact it would be interesting to try them with a nice valve amp! I always felt there was a half decent speaker in there somewhere, but let down by the metal tweeter and rather flubby bass-loading.

Yeah get 'em on that 16 Ohm tap!

Erm... yes, I know - I suppose what I was trying to say was that the ES14 is often misdiagnosed as a difficult load, it's more that its needs aren't actually all that well suited to the abilities of many of the amps is was traditionally partnered with, amps that are able to drive 4 Ohm loads with ease (for example).

Erm... yes, I know - I suppose what I was trying to say was that the ES14 is often misdiagnosed as a difficult load, it's more that its needs aren't actually all that well suited to the abilities of many of the amps is was traditionally partnered with, amps that are able to drive 4 Ohm loads with ease (for example).

An amp that drives 4R with ease will drive a higher impedance with even greater ease...

Yes I know - obviously that is so. However, equally obviously, I’m not explaining myself very well - but have now lost the will to try any harder.

Shall we say that, in between the rough metal dome tweeter and the "flubby" bass there is a pretty lucid midrange which will show up amps getting into trouble.

Well I just posted my original Claymore back to Colin for refurb, looking forward to hearing with modern equipment after some long time. I've stumbled into recreating my set from the 80/90, as I've also picked up a pair of Celestion SL6Si as I use to use my Claymore back then to drive a pair of SL6S. I still have my original Linn Karik CD player, so a real retro set-up to compare with, all over 25 years old now.

Hello,
How is the ewa claymor compared to an naim nait xs? I'm thinking in sell the nait and
Buy the ewa. The nait xs sound "hifi" to my feel. I've got the amp paired with a rega p25 and dynaudio contour 1.1.
If anyone can help me.
Than you very much.
Nacho

The Epos ES-14 were known for not working that well with certain amplifiers, sounding whooly with a overly bright treble. I certainly found that when I used mine with an Audiolab 8000a integrated amplifier, but when I upgraded to an Exposure pre/power combo it made a lot of difference. Why this is technically I wouldn't have a clue.

Hello,
How is the ewa claymor compared to an naim nait xs? I'm thinking in sell the nait and
Buy the ewa. The nait xs sound "hifi" to my feel. I've got the amp paired with a rega p25 and dynaudio contour 1.1.
If anyone can help me.
Than you very much.
Nacho

From my experience music will be restored by a change of speaker, not amp.

I guess the Contour need more power than XS provide, depending on room size of course.
Source is important too.

FWIW I tried some Dynaudio Focus against a pair Fyne F500.
The latter fine with even a Nap 100
The Dyn's sucked power and were too laid back for my taste.

Never tried a Claymore unfortunately

"
""You’re right, it was. I’ve just had a mountain of things on since I bought and built them with my daughter and wasn’t aware of another amp board. I knew there was a reason I didn’t do anything beyond building them up lol.

I’ll look into the “Maplin mosfet amp”, it would make an interesting project to get some good quality PCBs made up and build some. I have a couple of empty Linn LK cases that were once Intersekt multi room hubs, they’d house them nicely. I might get onto it when I have time (probably not in the next year).""

Funny I have just done a stereo MOS FET design on a PCB for kit builder just add bits and transformer not using Tos or Hit FET but 160V @ 30 Amps I will post layout up in the morning.

I had the Magnum IA125 in early 1985 - not sure when that one came out. Sounded excellent. I think I had Arcam Ones at the time (early version).
s-l1600.jpg

Have an original a Claymore doing good service here. Quick and Colin serviced and upgraded it about 2 years ago.

advertisement

Back