advertisement

In Praise of Touch Records

kjb

Proof reading not always a strength
A month or two back I read that the people at Touch Records had found a small number of copies of Claire M Singer's "Fairge" CD in a cupboard somewhere in the US. They were taking orders and would post them when they'd brought them back to the UK after a scheduled visit.

As usual with Touch, they kept me up to date with he progress of the order. On the 2nd March I was told it had been dispatched - 10 days later no sign of the CD. I sent a message to see if there'd been a problem: they confirmed they'd sent it and that it was the last one of the small number they brought back from the US.

Mike from Touch, who'd been e mailing, said he was going to visit Claire the next day and he'd see if she'd got any more copies. He did, she did and today a copy of the CD arrived - and very good it is too.

I'm not sure I've come across quite that level of customer care from a record label before. I've always really liked Touch music's stuff and have quite a few records by Fennesz, Chris Watson, Biosphere, Hildur Guðnadóttir and others and Jon Wozencroft's recent book of photos with an audio soundtrack but now like them even more.

Not sure I'd get the same service from Amazon ....

Cockles nicely warmed.

Any similar stories of labels or stores going above and beyond?

Kevin

Touch is such a good label - I'm always amazed at the quality of the recordings they give away for free on the Touch Radio site.

Looking forward to the Touch night with Philip Jeck next week.

Another Touch fan here. Mike Harding seems a nice chap. He's a musician in his own right, you know, with some recordings released on Touch.
I've had similar positive dealings with Type records. I think the people who run these relatively small labels are doing it for the love of the music as much as the commercial aspect so they are happy to talk to customers about what they are doing.

Damian

advertisement

Back