advertisement

In honor of Adolphe Sax's 200th birthday

Here's another Sax fave of mine.

Paul Desmond he wasn't... But those few bars where he kicks in are electrifying!!!

So coool... :)

It's all good.

Mull

Last edited by a moderator:
And let's not forget Junior.............

There's jazz class.... and there is just full on goodtimes!!

My daughter just caught me grooving at the PC.. headphones on and glass in hand... at allmost 66.

What it's all for.. :)

Mull

P.S. Saw Junior at Nottm Palais around 1967. He was ace!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thing is I'd take out Astrud. She got away with Girl From.. . etc., and some other stuff, but she really wasn't much of a singer.

Yes, I agree about Astrud. Even in "Ipanema" I much prefer the male vocal at the start to hers. Although singing in Portugese probably gives him a head start !! Rhythmically he just feels much more "right"

Thanks for the link to the Desmond track. I had never heard it. Although his playing is great, as always, I have to say I didnt like the track. I found it very cheesy.
Im never comfortable with a Jazzer playing over the top of an orchestral straight orchestration. It just never feels right and invariably sounds "stilted".
Even when the drums and Bass come in, half way through, they do nothing more than play a very straight "time".
The "Counter- lines" and shimmering strings just dont do it for me.

I actually prefer Desmonds playing away from the Brubeck Quartet, particularly the stuff he did with Jim Hall. Magical.

Desmond v Getz. Thats a hard one. I love them both. Both right up there in any league table of melodic/creative playing. Both with very distinctive tones. No, cant choose there, Im afraid.

Yes, I agree about Astrud. Even in "Ipanema" I much prefer the male vocal at the start to hers. Although singing in Portugese probably gives him a head start !! Rhythmically he just feels much more "right"

Thanks for the link to the Desmond track. I had never heard it. Although his playing is great, as always, I have to say I didnt like the track. I found it very cheesy.
Im never comfortable with a Jazzer playing over the top of an orchestral straight orchestration. It just never feels right and invariably sounds "stilted".
Even when the drums and Bass come in, half way through, they do nothing more than play a very straight "time".
The "Counter- lines" and shimmering strings just dont do it for me.

I'm not at all surprised you didn't like the orchestration. When I first found 'Late Lament' in a bargain bin and got it home, my first impression was that I'd bought 'Desmond does Mantovani'. It went to the back of the queue for some time until I tried it again and realised that the orchestrations are far from 'straight'. They really do compliment Desmond's playing and get more free flowing as the album progresses. Trust me.. it's a 'grower'.

Try this one:

[YOUTUBE]Kvs-lti-Pe8[/YOUTUBE]

I actually prefer Desmonds playing away from the Brubeck Quartet, particularly the stuff he did with Jim Hall. Magical.

I have a few discs of that stuff too. I like it.

Desmond v Getz. Thats a hard one. I love them both. Both right up there in any league table of melodic/creative playing. Both with very distinctive tones. No, cant choose there, Im afraid.

I don't think choosing is compulsory. :)

Mull

Mull, thanks for your input, and suggestions.

Yes, I have "Feeling Blue". It is one of the recordings with Jim Hall that I was thinking about.
However, I dont remember it being done with strings.
I will look it out a have a listen as I havent heard it for a few years, and my memory may be playing tricks. (trying to block out any thoughts of orchestral playing!! ) I just remember a standard sax plus rhythm section. Great stuff.

Oh, Sanborn. He's great.

Another very distinctive sound, which is very influential.

Played with just about everyone in the Pop/rock scene.

We will all have an LP/Cd in our collection with him on it.

Someone in this thread mentioned the sax on Bowie. Here is a Bowie clip from 40 years ago!! The sax player. Yep, the same (younger) David Sanborn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydLcs4VrjZQ

advertisement

Back