advertisement

Impulse H1 on Ebay

TBH I was never a fan of that Focal inverted dome tweeter they used so diffusing its output in that way was quite a good idea. I think I'd have just changed it!

It sounded a bit better IMO than the later titanium versions which are a drop-in fit but about 1db more sensitive. Very similar response with only minor x-over tweaks.

I experimented with an isoplanar replacement for a while which showed promise, then fell in love with your least favoured speaker of all time so the experiments stopped :)
Still have my H2s though. Nothing quite does sonic fireworks and stunts in quite the same way. Actually that is unfair, they are excellent in most departments but thrilling in one or two areas.

Having heard of the first (possibly) Aspara's HL1 a few years back (2007?) they sounded rather good, then I believe they were modified or tweaked slightly over the first one? (feel free to correct me on that comment) I spent a good time listening to those also, superb on vinyl, but not so good on cd. These listenings were at hi-fi shows (RMAF) so possibly not the best environment.To my ears I think I still prefer the Impulse H1's.
Hoping hifi guru Mr Hughes one day will do a review of either the Aspara HL1 or the HLR.
The acid test is if he will retire his long time owned and loved Impulse H1's?

advertisement

Back