advertisement

Impulse H1 on Ebay

smithy

pfm Member
Nice pair of speakers if you can get to Ayrshire to pick them up,only 10 hours to go.(if someone would do a link I would appreciate it)

somebody eventually got a bargain with these- £800 I think. They belonged to a friend of mine who bought them about 3 years ago from a chap in London. When he picked then up one of the speakers got dropped as it was being lifted into the van and got completely trashed. He then spent a small fortune rebuilding these and they sounded fantastic - I think he sent a load of pics to Martin for inclusion in the acoustica website but don't think they've ever been put up.
Anyway, if the buyer is on PFM how do they sound in your system?

Oh I completely missed this - bugger!

Shame to hear the project got sold on, the pics looked good and the amount of work involved significant. I was waiting for an update /completion before posting a page on this H1 rebuild, but really ought to stick up what I have then I suppose

Do you mean these 'ickle fellows?

i307050173_36732_4.jpg

Look on the bright side, they're child friendly. After all, how many kids could push over something that heavy?

yes, side on they are something else, about the width of a standard door frame if I'm not mistaken.

But according to the finished auction (from the link above), there were no bids.

How come a PFM member (or anyone) has bought them?

I remember, in the Peter Belt (strange room treatments etc.) era of the late eighties, a journalist/reviewer for 'Answers' (I think) used to listen to his H2s back to front, and swore by its effectiveness. He WAS a bit odd, though !

It was Jimmy Hughes & he still does use H1's back to front. It did sound very nice and 'spacious' on the occasions I heard it although I gather the flat is almost chock full of records & CD's now.

It was Jimmy Hughes & he still does use H1's back to front. It did sound very nice and 'spacious' on the occasions I heard it although I gather the flat is almost chock full of records & CD's now.

Hmm, how far from the wall?

In corners or square on?

I will give it a try.

At the moment I prefer my Altec Lansings. The missus doesn't like the H1s at all. She can tell if I've put them on within 1 sec of stepping in the room & says "why does it sound tinny?".

I think "tinny" is a bit harsh (no pun intended), but whilst they are a little bit more airy than the Altecs, they do have that little-speaker-shouting-up-a-pipe sound, which I suppose is just what a Horn is.

Maybe facing the wall will give more depth.

Oh I completely missed this - bugger!

Shame to hear the project got sold on, the pics looked good and the amount of work involved significant. I was waiting for an update /completion before posting a page on this H1 rebuild, but really ought to stick up what I have then I suppose

Oi did email you...

M

Is he still up in that Barbican split level flat?

I asked Jimmy about 10 years ago how many LPs he had. He told me when he moved to the Barbican in the 80s he moved over 35,000

That was the last time he counted but he estimated it was probably double that :D

Of course that's not counting the CDs

And he had no Neil Young at all

JK

Is he still up in that Barbican split level flat?

I believe so. I haven't been for a number of years but I know people who have. More records & cd's than ever!

Having done a couple of shows with Brian Taylor & Julius Hyde recently, I can say that their new Aspara speakers are a worthy successor to the Impulse models.

But according to the finished auction (from the link above), there were no bids.

How come a PFM member (or anyone) has bought them?

I remember, in the Peter Belt (strange room treatments etc.) era of the late eighties, a journalist/reviewer for 'Answers' (I think) used to listen to his H2s back to front, and swore by its effectiveness. He WAS a bit odd, though !

they were relisted

Hmm, how far from the wall?

In corners or square on?

I will give it a try.

At the moment I prefer my Altec Lansings. The missus doesn't like the H1s at all. She can tell if I've put them on within 1 sec of stepping in the room & says "why does it sound tinny?".

I think "tinny" is a bit harsh (no pun intended), but whilst they are a little bit more airy than the Altecs, they do have that little-speaker-shouting-up-a-pipe sound, which I suppose is just what a Horn is.

Maybe facing the wall will give more depth.

Aimed at the corners with the rear of the speakers pointing inwards at 30-45 degrees iirc. He also listened on a floor level about 4 ft above the level the speakers were standing at. It was like listening down to performers on a stage some way below where you were. Very effective actually.

TBH I was never a fan of that Focal inverted dome tweeter they used so diffusing its output in that way was quite a good idea. I think I'd have just changed it!

advertisement

Back