advertisement

Improving speakers technics sb-c350

IVELIN

pfm Member
Hi all,

I have a pair of technics sb-c350 which might need some attention. I had to replace the woofers because both were rubbing a bit when I got them 2nd hand. The woofers were generally working but I didn't like that rubbing. I suppose they just sagged with time. I changed them with visaton's 8" generic woofers and I was quite happy with the result. I used them for a while but in the past 6 years the speakers have been "in the wardrobe".
I am now starting to think that maybe there is scope to use them again since I need smaller speakers at home. The main question is: what can I do to make them a good set of speakers? Or even a great set of speakers?

I will be more than happy to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks a lot
Ivelin

i'd suggest seeing of you can recover the original woofers, or at least understand the difference between them and the replacement woofers performance specs.

also any electrolytic caps in the crossover will be well past their best, any replacements will be much better, but i'd suggest something basic and not 'boutique'

Hi Grog,

Thanks for the comments!

I couldn't find anything about the original woofers apart from that they are made by Panasonic and are kevlar or some sort of kevlar composite.

There is a service manual available online but it doesn't have any driver graphs just part numbers and filter diagrams. At least it contains the filter parts' specifications.

This is the replacement woofer
https://www.visaton.de/de/produkte/chassis/tieftoener/w-200-4-ohm

Do the original woofers still function, with some noise? If so you might be able to get some measurements from them.
are the surrounds foam and still ok, or are they deteriorating

Grog, I will dig them out and will confirm their state. The last time I saw them the surrounds were fine, that was years ago though.

Had a look and both woofers measured 4ohm, definitely rubbing and the surrounds even though are in a pretty good shape one of them has a small tear which I believe added to the decision to change them.

advertisement

Back