advertisement

Important Please Read: Hacked accounts

Tony L

Administrator
I’ve had two reported tonight. Reddish75 and PeterVid. Both hijacked by scammers looking to place bogus adverts. Both now returned to their owners.

I don’t think the accounts have been hacked here, more likely common usernames, passwords and email addresses in another leak somewhere. This is very common.

Anyway, we are at two now. If I get another report I’m going to lock the whole classified area for a while until I have figured out exactly what is going on and where the point of failure is.

If you have reused a password from elsewhere on pfm please change it now. In fact changing your password now regardless would be a good move.

I’ve now confirmed both hacked accounts were using passwords that were also used elsewhere, in fact both have had issues across multiple sites. As such I’m pretty confident the hack wasn’t here. Even so please ensure you use a unique password here.

Ditto, I also use the 2FA which I’m grateful is available on PFM as Roon does not have 2FA.

.sjb

Yes, I think, because there is a classifieds section here, everyone should enable two-factor authentication (click your username in the main menu bar at the top and you'll see it in the vhig list of options).

If others here are not familiar, it's a minor ballache as you'll need your mobile and an authenticator app (eg Google Authenticator but there are many) to generate one-time login codes (on top of the usual username + password). But you can choose to only have to do it once per month, which is a decent compromise. Anyway, then even if someone figures out your password they still won't be able to log in without the 2fa time-limited code.

I activated 2FA yesterday on my iPad and all was well, but when I tried to log in to pfm on my iPhone I just kept being bumped back to the log on screen every time I entered the log in verification code that I received via email.

Anyone else encountered this and have a solution?

Kevin

advertisement

Back