advertisement

Images from a Pixel 4a phone

zippy

pfm Member
If I connect my phone to my Windows 10 PC and open the 'DCIM/camera' phone folder I see a mixture of file types, some .mp some with no apparent file type.
File Explorer e.g. view set to 'large icons' seems to be unable to show the file content as an icon.

I can't find a answer to this on the internet - can anyone suggest a fix (I'm guessing that windows 10 has no codec for these files but I can't find one anywhere)

I want to see a 'preview picture' of all pictures in a folder on the phone, in File explorer rather than having to open every single photo file one by one to see what it is.
Just your standard way of using File Explorer..it just doesn't work on files on the phone because of their strange file type/format.

I see I have the same thing with pictures in the Camera folder on my Pixel 2 (except one pic which shows, oddly). Other subfolders inside DCIM are OK.

This might be the same problem...
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/693594/thumbnails-not-showing-up-when-transferring-images/
Exactly - that link suggests that lots of people have the problem, and it's a bug that needs fixing in Android.
In the meantime the only work-around is to copy all the files from the phone to a PC and do any selecting/editing there..
I do note that it is possible to delete photos directly off the phone, which many devices (e.g. Lumix camera) won't let you do.

advertisement

Back