advertisement

iFi Zen Blue streamer any views?

Sorry to pull this thread up, I was thinking of getting one of these to add to my dac for the convenience of Bluetooth at a good level.
I'll use it to stream tidal/qobuz, because neither app has a true connect option from their apps like Spotify.
My current set up is ipad to dac via USB, so will this get close to a direct stream or is it the old story that Bluetooth is rubbish.

Sorry to pull this thread up, I was thinking of getting one of these to add to my dac for the convenience of Bluetooth at a good level.
I'll use it to stream tidal/qobuz, because neither app has a true connect option from their apps like Spotify.
My current set up is ipad to dac via USB, so will this get close to a direct stream or is it the old story that Bluetooth is rubbish.

No doubt you'll get replies to that effect. All I can say, from my own experience, is that Bluetooth nowadays can sound rather excellent.Try though to get a demo of a recent implementation for your own peace of mind.

Check on Wikipedia - there are revisions/updates to the Bluetooth spec' every once in a while, some of which will provide improved audio transmission.
Originally, Bluetooth was never intended for anything like HiFi quality.

Bluetooth will always be lossy, and which codec you end up with is dependent on the combination of source and destination devices. It's also very hard to find out what codec or data rate actually got selected.

Whether this is audible or not is another question.

I have one and I think it’s the best sounding Bluetooth DAC available and a relative bargain......however, my £30 Chromecast audio beats it for sound quality, but that’s not the point. Bluetooth and wifi streaming are completely different beasts, Wi-fi has huge bandwidth and bluetooth’s is way more limited but it’s a far more practical solution.

I have the USB version, so can can connect phone/iPad to it with the “camera kit” ..... avoiding any Bluetooth issues.

advertisement

Back