advertisement

If you won the lottery ...

I would spend my time buying all the vinyl I wanted, no matter what it cost.

Before which a Naim 52 and active SBLs would be bought, just after which I would try some Krell and Audio Research gear.

Basically I'd have a blast.

All the chrome bumper boxes in the world would be mine! mine! mine!

and to give voice to all my new CB boxes...

All the Epos 14s in the world would be mine! mine! mine!

and then I'd have a nice cup of tea.

If I won the lottery I wouldn't spend my free time listening to hi-fi!

Although I would probably get a Naim 500 series system just in case.

Multiple systems, unquestionably. As a bare minimum very large horns e.g. Altecs, Westminsters, Khorns or whatever driven by tubes in one room, full range panels, probably Quad in another, and something like a real high-end pair of active studio mid-fields in another. If I've learnt one thing over the 35 years or so I've been playing about with this hobby it is that I've never heard a single system that does it all! As such the answer is many.

Chaps

If I won the lottery I would probably be tanking around the world seeing the 1000 places to see before you die.

I would simply buy a few top of the range Naim kits and stick them in the appropriate room.

I would get Loricraft to send me a Garrard 501.

Regards

Mick .... bit of a pointless answer as I don't do the lottery.

they-look-jealously-at-the-super-rich.jpg

Chaps

I would simply buy a few top of the range Naim kits and stick them in the appropriate room.

Regards

But Mick,
you haven't grasped the thread. You'd be able to buy a proper Hi-fi system!

What would you get?

Mull

I'd just get my fave musicians to come and perform live in my new hip groovy 'pad', though I can sort of see how that might be a bit problematic with Ray Charles, Buddy Holly, Jimi, etc.

I think the money could be used more wisely for the benefit of humanity and music. Ideas that spring to mind are:-

a) Tell Portishead that I'll give £1M to a charity of their choice if they'll do a gig in my garden for my mates

b) Put a contract out on Morrisey

c) Capital costs to start a no profit music rehearsal, recording, publicity and online distribution agency for new artists

d) Buy the rights to all Coldplay songs and refuse to let anyone play them

e) Open a proper Jazz club in the north of England

f) Get Ringo to publicly apologise for The Octopuses Garden and have the playing of it added to actions outlawed by the Geneva convention

g) Round up all Morris Dancers and intern them in camps whilst their children are removed to be fostered in homes where they can be rehabilitated

h) Sponsor a bill to get Ghost Town as the new national anthem

I would stay with what i have, musicality is not a factor dependent on build quality alone but on a basic understanding of the emotional connection that humans derive from music and desiging your gear to make that happen. Alot of the top end equipment i have owned have not given me pleasure that includes avantgarde duo, audionote m5 silver sig, audionote p4 silver sig, sme 30 vdh black beauty etc etc costing me thousands and thousands of pounds. I am now very happy with Harbeth speakers and sonneteer amp and cd player plus origin live turntables.

I would stay with what i have, musicality is not a factor dependent on build quality alone but on a basic understanding of the emotional connection that humans derive from music and desiging your gear to make that happen. Alot of the top end equipment i have owned have not given me pleasure that includes avantgarde duo, audionote m5 silver sig, audionote p4 silver sig, sme 30 vdh black beauty etc etc costing me thousands and thousands of pounds. I am now very happy with Harbeth speakers and sonneteer amp and cd player plus origin live turntables.

I'd simply upgrade my Harbeths to m40.1

I have read comments that the m40 might not be as musical sounding as the super 5!.

Anyway you can pick one up for £1200 on ebay!!!

I would listen to everything I could on home demo and buy accordingly. One place I would start is valves .

advertisement

Back