advertisement

If the Quad philosophy is that an amplifier should be a straight wire with gain....

Whatever their philosophy, it allowed them to add a tilt control to several preamps since the model 34 in 1982.

Not so much a straight wire with gain as a tone control.

As I understand it, ‘a straight wire with gain’ was a phrase that first comes from Stewart Hegeman, designer of the famous Harmon Kardon Citation II amp and several speakers, particularly omni-directional. I take the term to mean that the audio signal flows through a minimalistic circuit with the fewest possible components, thus ensuring the purest possible sound for the gain achieved. Frankly very few amplifiers do this, but it is also my own goal with my 2 stage single ended tube amps. Very simple circuits, though fed by substantial power supplies with at least 2 chokes and premium polypropylene caps.

It's a while ago, but I seem to remember Quad challenging people to tell the differences between 2 amps, implying that amps had no distinct sound of their own. A pretty wacky idea - even components sound different to trained ears. I don't know if anyone remembers this?

I use a Benchmark AHB2 with my Quad 989 Electrostatics because it is one of the best 'measured' (wire with gain) amplifiers.

Some find it 'lacking' because with near zero distortion, it has no 'sound'.

Though many on here use one, or two.

advertisement

Back