advertisement

IEMs for a DAP - Campfire?

Amber Audio

This is the Day
I'm using airpods daily and would like to get some better quality, more hifi orientated ones, IEM seems the way to get the best sound. They will mainly be used while walking, nothing like gym work/running and it looks like cabled is the way to go.

Obviously not easy/possible to try so I'm after a couple of ideas to read up about. Once I decide I'll then look for a DAP that supports Qobuz and lets me go offline/download with it.

After a quick online trawl the Campfire Audio IO @ £300 appeal. Anyone own/use/had them care to comment? Alternatives at/around that price?

Thanks

Gus

Haven't heard Campfire, they certainly have a good rep. I use Noble IEMs at the moment, no complaints at all. For £300 I'd be looking out for s/h Sennheiser IE800, just be very wary as there seem to be more fakes than legit. I sold mine which remains a regret, thankfully they went to a very good home. I intend on owning them again one day because they really are quite special.

Haven't heard Campfire, they certainly have a good rep. I use Noble IEMs at the moment, no complaints at all. For £300 I'd be looking out for s/h Sennheiser IE800, just be very wary as there seem to be more fakes than legit. I sold mine which remains a regret, thankfully they went to a very good home. I intend on owning them again one day because they really are quite special.
Thanks, looks like they are discontinued rrp was £600? I've seen fake Senns mentioned so unless they were for sale on here or Wam I'd be wary of buying them.

I have the campfire andromeda very nice clear detailed with strong bass but not too overblown. If you like a more neutral presentation AKG K3003i these were the first over 1k in ears still good today and can be had new for around £300. Buy new there were some fakes about they are tunable with filters. Klipsch do some nice ones but at around $150 if you hunt around . Very light. I have an I basso DX200 so know the house sound and these are worth looking for as a DAP . You can change the amp modules in them and the latest amp 9 tube amp ( Korg tube thingy ) does sound good. Failing that look for an astel and kern ak70mk2 around £250 used. They sound great and can goi balanced to give a more robust sound. Twin dacs in that. I have a fair few in ears and have tried many so feel free to pm me if you want any input. Best David

Cheers David I will take you up on a PM once I get time later, will look into the AMP9 that sounds an interesting option

After a quick online trawl the Campfire Audio IO @ £300 appeal.

You are very close to the custom fit field with that kind of budget. I use UE5's by Ultimate Ears. You can get ambient or sealed ones, and once you've tried custom fit, you'll not go back to generic. Not cheap - £500 is for these, but the attenuation and detail are rather good.

I can recommend Hand held Audio to source these from. You will need to get moulds done, which are about £30-£40.

Always try before you buy , high sensitivity iems can cause noise with some daps.

Always try before you buy , high sensitivity iems can cause noise with some daps.
Not really possible at present as I am shielding, Richer have the Campfire and Meze mentioned by Mike but their T&Cs for distance selling say in ears are excluded for hygiene reasons. The main headphone forums/fan/review sites seem to be made up mostly younger folk, hence asking on here. Hopefully I can take a chance on some IEMs and send the DAP back if it’s a problem so I’ll buy it last.

I have recently started using the KZ AS10 Pro with Comply medium ear tips. They are far too good for the money at £40. No boom, tight but with loads and loads of depth and weight, which you normally do not get with IEMs. Top end is extremely nice, no harshness. Need a bit of run-in time as they noticeably loosen up and are a bit dark fresh out of the box. Most importantly these are FUN headphones with loads of dynamic range & sound like bigger cans. They are very sensitive too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QZRLMXQ/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

The Comply tips are noticeably more comfortable and improve the sound.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have recently started using the KZ AS10 Pro with Comply medium ear tips. They are far too good for the money at £40. No boom, but loads and loads of depth and weight, which you normally do not get with IEMs. Top end is extremely nice, no harshness. Need a bit of run-in time as they noticeably loosen up and are a bit dark fresh out of the box. Most importantly these are FUN headphones with loads of dynamic range & sound like bigger cans. They are very sensitive too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QZRLMXQ/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

The Comply tips are noticeably more comfortable and improve the sound.
Cheers, they do look a lot like the Campfires, happy to spend a few quid - mainly want more hifi stuff - soundstage and the like - I have some normal Senns and Airpods

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Cheers, they do look a lot like the Campfires, happy to spend a few quid - mainly want more hifi stuff - soundstage and the like - I have some normal Senns and Airpods

They blow away the normal Senns & Airpods, not even a comparison, and have a big soundstage. :)

I don't mind throwing them around, using them on the road etc. either...

I think I saw some JH Audio iem’s for sale in the classifieds the other day. If they’re still there and you’re OK with second hand (they’re universal not custom), they’re worth a look. I’ve got some custom JHAs and am very pleased. I’ve been through a succession of Shure and Westone IEMs over the last 15 years, and have got on with all of them.
Currently using an A&K120mk2, so second the comment above about looking into them as DAPs

I think I saw some JH Audio iem’s for sale in the classifieds the other day. If they’re still there and you’re OK with second hand (they’re universal not custom), they’re worth a look. I’ve got some custom JHAs and am very pleased. I’ve been through a succession of Shure and Westone IEMs over the last 15 years, and have got on with all of them.
Currently using an A&K120mk2, so second the comment above about looking into them as DAPs
The older A&K’s don’t support APK so no Qobuz support?

advertisement

Back