advertisement

Identify a Track (well...an LP) from my crap description Part 2

robs

should know how this works by no
LOL...I 'won' so it's my turn...!

I posted the below in 2004 (yes, I know...), but bear with me, I still have the LP and still don't know what it is....:

"I picked up some test pressings at my local car boot sale. They had card covers but nothing on the labels except 'Columbia Record Productions - Santa Maria - Test Pressing'.

From what I have found out so far, they appear to be Impulse Lps - one is Hugh Masekela The African Connection (Matrix IA-9343), another Gil Evans & Gary McFarland The Great Arrangers (Matrix IA-9340) (Both also hand written on the covers).

One has matrix IA-9344. I cannot find this in the Impulse catalogue (it is a blank on the lists I've seen) or on the web & there is no writing on the cover. Any of you experts out there be able to tell me what it is?

Some more clues..
it's mono.
the first side ( 3 tracks) are live (but no intros unfortunately).
1st track is sax, trumpet, piano solos then get it all together JUMP!
2nd track mellow sax & piano.
3rd track ditto. I thought it might be Trane but I have not really heard enough to say for sure..
Other side again 3 tracks but no audience can be heard.
1st two tracks mellow piano - I am no expert but from what I know it could well be Mr Monk?
3rd track sax & dominant percussion, again fairly mellow."

I picked up some test pressings at my local car boot sale. They had card covers but nothing on the labels except 'Columbia Record Productions - Santa Maria - Test Pressing'.

From what I have found out so far, they appear to be Impulse Lps - one is Hugh Masekela The African Connection (Matrix IA-9343), another Gil Evans & Gary McFarland The Great Arrangers (Matrix IA-9340) (Both also hand written on the covers).

One has matrix IA-9344. I cannot find this in the Impulse catalogue (it is a blank on the lists I've seen) or on the web & there is no writing on the cover. Any of you experts out there be able to tell me what it is?

Some more clues..
it's mono.
the first side ( 3 tracks) are live (but no intros unfortunately).
1st track is sax, trumpet, piano solos then get it all together JUMP!
2nd track mellow sax & piano.
3rd track ditto. I thought it might be Trane but I have not really heard enough to say for sure..
Other side again 3 tracks but no audience can be heard.
1st two tracks mellow piano - I am no expert but from what I know it could well be Mr Monk?
3rd track sax & dominant percussion, again fairly mellow.

Tony L - you are the acknowledged expert (from what I've seen anyway!!) - any ideas?

I did have some samples that were linked to in the original post but sadly no longer working, and I can't find them now....might have to give it another spin and record a little:

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum...ck-question-fo-rthe-experts.5244/#post-440854

Well blow me down seeker....that looks very hopeful and how quick! Many thanks! Karma?
Must admit I hadn't searched on it for many years...

Your turn!

advertisement

Back