advertisement

Icon Audio Valve amps, any experience owners?

Yveski

In the sky......
are any PFM members owners of valve amplifiers (integrated or other) manufactured by Icon Audio (uk).
I am interested to hear your experiences of sound quality, power or issues.
I am considering purchasing an integrated amp.
also what speakers work well with lower output valve amps, 20 to 40w?

Difficult one this. Icon Audio seem, to offer decent value, and I know of few issues of reliability. The firm seems to stand behind the products and are reputable.
Against that, these are Chinese amps; and Chinese amps have a reputation for 'variable' quality and also occasional doubts over the authenticity of parts...all those 'vishays' and so on. I assume that doesn't apply to Icon Audio, who seem to have a grip, but it provides a general backround against which to ponder the issues. It also affects resale values. I know of two friends who bought the amps and then returned them. But that might just be poor matching with speakers.I think I'd give Icon a try if in that position.They are decent people.
Which brings us to another difficult subject: matching. Basically you want the highest sensitivity and most begign impedance curve you can get.That not only gives good volume but also helps the amps sound at their best.Don't go 'lower' in sensitivity than stuff around 88db (genuine). Others will take up the story..it is a long one. Buyer beware is a good thing to have in mind. Good luck.....it should be fun.

You are more likely to get responses from owners with direct personal experience of these amps over on HiFi Wigwm. There are also several used examples for sale in the classifieds over there. They certainly don't seem to hold their price.

PS have just noticed some on sale here too..same amps!

I own and love one of their cd players they distributed,the excellent and underated AH! NJOE Tjoeb cd4000 reference which was £900 when new,it has the valve front end and 24/192 upsampler board fitted along with all the other tweaks,i have just been listening to it today actually after a long absence,paired with the new rega Brio R it is a brilliant combo!!!!

I have a PS1 Phono Stage which I'm very pleased with. It looks good, seems to be well built and sounds excellent.

I understand Icon check everything they receive from China before sending it out for sale. I've spoken to them a couple of times and have a mate who received really first class service from them when something went wrong.

I have an ST40 mkiii and am pretty pleased with it, I would recommend them.

They are made in China by one of more 'famous' ebay type sellers I think (can't remember which right now). The build quality is streets ahead of the Yaqin that I had - as it should as they are quite a lot more expensive - but not in the silly money range of some.....

I had some some quirks with a valve and the company answered my endless questions with good info (and patience....), in the end swapping valves between sides cured the problem, probably just a bad connection.

I bought a Ming Da M7R Pre-amp from Icon 6 years ago. As I understand it, they make sure that they are ok to run at 240 volts and they supplied up-graded valves. I have never had any problems with it and it looks a million dollars.

My service from them was appalling. Shame because the product sounded great. I was very very relieved the dealer took it back from me.

advertisement

Back