advertisement

icepower250asx2 and Ghent audio DIY build and UK 240v power?

Bigbobby666

pfm Member
Hi All...

So i have a massive AV amp powering little Mission speakers and im starting to feel guilty about the power drain as this thing gets HOT!

So i started looking at a class D high power amp and found the following ICEPOWER module:

https://www.profusionplc.com/parts/icepower250asx2

Then i found a lovely case and all wiring here:

https://www.ghentaudio.com/kit/asx250-sr.html

Can someone tell me if i put this together and plugged in a UK kettle lead would it work? Is it as easy as it seems? Theres gotta be a catch!?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Rob.

Well, not really from a POV of putting it together - it's pretty easy. One thing you're not saying is what kind of preamp you'll be using because the ICEpower module is just a power amp - maybe the catch is lurking there :D

Thanks for that... Reeeeeeealy helpful.

A little more reading and found out that the power supply is integrated into the board, so that answers my main question.

Well, not really from a POV of putting it together - it's pretty easy. One thing you're not saying is what kind of preamp you'll be using because the ICEpower module is just a power amp - maybe the catch is lurking there :D

Was going to use a tisbury passive pre...

My main worry was if 240v would fry the board... But looks like it wont

I've got several IcePower modules and they are really simple. The one thing that caught me out was mains voltage setting. I was told mine were set for 240v but when the fuse (that doesn't look like a fuse an is soldered to the PCB) blew. Having then worked out they were 110v I could change the jumpers for 240v, and all went smoothly from there. So, and IcePower module in a nice case gets you a truly world class power amp for very little money. Taking into account that the PSU is the expensive part, they represent remarkable value. I have them powering my LS3/5a sized DSP enabled 'kitchen' speakers and my ML Summits have one IcePower module per bass driver.

I've got several IcePower modules and they are really simple. The one thing that caught me out was mains voltage setting. I was told mine were set for 240v but when the fuse (that doesn't look like a fuse an is soldered to the PCB) blew. Having then worked out they were 110v I could change the jumpers for 240v, and all went smoothly from there. So, and IcePower module in a nice case gets you a truly world class power amp for very little money. Taking into account that the PSU is the expensive part, they represent remarkable value. I have them powering my LS3/5a sized DSP enabled 'kitchen' speakers and my ML Summits have one IcePower module per bass driver.

Awesome this is exactly the thing I was wondering. Will investigate the jumpers.

Thanks!

They should be factory set for 230V because then if they are connected to 110V they will just not start. Anyway, the jumper setting is easy enough to check vs. the data sheet.

The passive pre is in theory a less-than-optimal match for the low-ish input impedance of the ASX-modules (app. 8k ohms). However if you use reasonably short cables between pre and power it shouldn't make that much difference and in any case you'll not break anything by trying. The "solution" (if you consider it a problem after trying it, that is...) is to add a buffer just before the module (or replace the preamp with an active stage instead).

They should be factory set for 230V because then if they are connected to 110V they will just not start. Anyway, the jumper setting is easy enough to check vs. the data sheet.

The passive pre is in theory a less-than-optimal match for the low-ish input impedance of the ASX-modules (app. 8k ohms). However if you use reasonably short cables between pre and power it shouldn't make that much difference and in any case you'll not break anything by trying. The "solution" (if you consider it a problem after trying it, that is...) is to add a buffer just before the module (or replace the preamp with an active stage instead).

Ok thanks for the info... I've not bought the tisbury so other options are on the table, just I had one before with a t amp and it sounded good. But that was a pretty lean system. Might look at other options.

advertisement

Back