advertisement

Ian Lavender RIP

What a shame, he can't have been a day over 20!

Glad to hear he was a villa fan. I stayed in one in Tuscany once.

77 is not a great age, but I expect (hope) he had an enjoyable life. Gone to be with his mum.

77 is not a great age, but I expect (hope) he had an enjoyable life. Gone to be with his mum.
From what I 've read, I think he was happy with his lot. He says that in some ways being "Pike " for 10 years, aged 22 to 32, held him back for other roles, but he recognised that he was lucky to have a steady income. He also enjoyed the fact that people would shout "Don't tell him, Pike!" across the street or "Stupid boy" even in later life. That's a legacy. 50 years on, you're still on the telly every week. RIP Pike. You made us all laugh. Over and over again. Thank you.

As an aside, Arnold Ridley's story makes for quite a read.... active service in both World Wars, AND in the actual Home Guard ...

I retraced Ridley's footsteps on the Somme for a Great War photographic project that I did back in 2016. He was bayonneted in the wrist and groin in a roughly dug trench just in front of Gueudecourt, and very fortunate not to have been killed. I had a .303 bullet that I picked up from the ground on the site of the trench which became a bit of a charm. I would carry it with me when I was there, and leave it concealed somewhere or other between visits. One spring I left it in a cleft in a young tree, and when I next returned the tree had claimed it as its own.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back