advertisement

I want to buy a record deck...

This is what YNWOAN was getting at.

It takes a while to fully understand the world of vinyl and record players.

At this time you are dipping in a toe as it were so keep it easy, if you enjoy take it up a notch.

Main thing is to have fun and enjoy some records.
Can't help thinking this is falling into the trap of making something is complex when it isn't.

An hour tops of reading and research and you'll know all there is to know, certainly about configuring a new cartridge and setting the correct tracking force. On some models, you have to adjust the springs, but that is neither a difficult concept nor to achieve.

Turntables are simple machines, and they're also set once and forget. Basically, you should buy the turntable you can afford, be it an LP12 or a Rega RP1. You certainly do not have to buy a learning machine, that's nonsense.

I have seen some polished acrylic plinths on eBay for the Rega. These may not suit all tastes but I like the look and it certainly gives a more modern take on the look of the turntable. Will this affect the sound produced from the player? If so is it likely to be for the better or worse?

I've looked into these alternative plinths.
When you get to the level of £200 for a plinth and £200 for a s/h deck, you might as well go and have a look at a new RP3.

Why don't you find a decent dealer and try out the RP1 / RP3 / RP6, and work out what is the level of sound you expect? This is after all the definition of 'good sound', to one person it's an RP1 and to another its the RP6 or greater.

You don't have to stick to the Rega brand, it's just a suggestion.

A good research resource is www.vinylengine.com which has loads of pictures, info sheets and manuals for record decks etc.

In the meantime buy a simple 'package' like an entry level Pro-ject deck : deck, arm and cartridge all assembled and ready to go. Rega is also very good - make sure it comes fitted with cartridge though. Since you say you're not sure whether this is a passing phase keep things simple ..... you will be surprised how good a well-chosen budget deck can sound.

You'll get far better value for money secondhand. The Technics SL 1x00 are good buys, particularly the Mk II versions, as are Pioneers and Denons, the earlier ones rather than the rubbish they put out now. Given you don't know if you're going to continue with vinyl, I wouldn't advise one of the entry level decks new, as they are strictly budget and don't really give an idea of what the fuss is about.

You'll get far better value for money secondhand. The Technics SL 1x00 are good buys, particularly the Mk II versions, as are Pioneers and Denons, the earlier ones rather than the rubbish they put out now. Given you don't know if you're going to continue with vinyl, I wouldn't advise one of the entry level decks new, as they are strictly budget and don't really give an idea of what the fuss is about.

second hand will also mean less of a loss (maybe break even or small profit)
if you come to sell it

best to pick up rather than rely on post

Yes I'll go down the second hand route. That way my losses will be minimal if I decide vinyl isn't for me or if it is when I inevitably upgrade. I think the vinyl route is probably the next step in performance upgrade. After having separates since a teenager I've got myself a system I'm very happy with. I know my pre-amp is also a surround processor but I do find the 2 channel performance very good.
I've already been looking at some much more expensive decks - some are artwork as well as players - but I'll stay sensible and get a basic deck to begin with. While giving the vinyl format a go I can build up my collection, then move onto something with a bit more sex appeal :)

OK, think I'll go with the majority vote here which appears to be the Rega Planar 3. I'll scan eBay and see if I can find mint examples. If any of you know of any available elsewhere please point me in the right direction.

I've done a bit of research on my pre/pro and it seems the phono card was an optional extra, I have no idea if this is installed in my unit yet. I've posted on another forum in the Arcam owners section to see if anyone can help.

I guess now I need to start looking for a wall mount for the Rega, any suggestions?

Thanks for the offer David but think I'll be going for a Rega. I may be interested in your phono amp though, can I have more details? Is this just something which goes inbetween the player and my pre amps inputs?

If you're going down the Rega route then Rega make their own wall stand which is obviously well suited to the task. £99 is the usual new price I believe.

Last time I looked Phonography had a s/h Planar 3 for £150. You can't lose much at that price if you decide vinyl is not for you or wish to upgrade later. As they are a Rega dealer they could no doubt supply you with a wall bracket too. I've bought a few things from them in the past and they've always been excellent.

Buy from a dealer and you've got some comeback and service support. Buy from epay and, well, I'm sure you know the rest....

Thanks for the offer David but think I'll be going for a Rega. I may be interested in your phono amp though, can I have more details? Is this just something which goes inbetween the player and my pre amps inputs?

Plug the cables from your record deck into the phono amp.
Plug some cables from the phono amp to your amp or pre amp auxiliary input.
Basically the phono amp increases the signal from the stylus in your headshell to a level that can be heard by your amp/pre amp.
Link to another site from where I purchased the phono amp:
http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?58415-FS-Williams-Audio-MF-CA-cheapies-and-other-bits
Yours for £30 + postage.
All the best
David

OP, totally recommend Phonography, at that money you're all set and have an intro to one of the best dealers in the UK.

Put up a shelf is the cheapest way. It you want HiFi shelves (which have no magical properties by the way) there are plenty available through HiFi and AV dealers.

advertisement

Back