advertisement

I want to buy a record deck...

alcarmichael

pfm Member
I'm interested in getting myself some vinyl and something to play it on. This may prove to be a passing phase, we'll see. I have very little experience with vinyl and decks so where do I start?

Current set up is:-

Arcam DV139
Arcam AV8
Arcam P1000
B&W 805

A budget would be a good place to start, as would be a preference between new and s/h.

I'd expect Rega to have some good offerings from entry to mid-level - they're easy to find and have a good reputation.

I'm definitely fond of going down the second hand route - better value for money. As to a budget, this is why I'm posting really, what do I need to spend to get my first deck which offers good performance. From initial research it seems a couple of hundred quid should get me something half decent. If I need to spend more for a good increase in quality then I will.
Anything else I need to consider? Or do I just get the deck and some records and enjoy, is it that easy?

£200 gets you a nice Rega P3, easy, plug and play, good sound.

Or, Thorens 150/160 better and nice to tinker with or maybe a Dunlop Systemdek.

Keep money for LPs. ;)

Mods, better in the Audio room this thread?

Yes, buy a Rega - the best place to start, full stop.

TD150/160 are good suggestions if you already know about turntables - but in this case, you don't.

as a start, anything rega or project. and a phono stage, if your amp don't have one.
there's a project essential for sale on here, not mine btw

I would agree. A rega is the simplest starting point and can be easily sold on with little loss if you decide that vinyl is not for you or, alternatively, you want something better. A Rega P3 is easily upgradeable and there are plenty available, although I would suggest that it is more cost effective to look at something like a Thorens TD150 if you want to take things further.

Yes, buy a Rega - the best place to start, full stop.

TD150/160 are good suggestions if you already know about turntables - but in this case, you don't.
What exactly do you need to know about turntables? You can learn it all in an hour.

Go for the Thorens, much better than an entry level turntable.

Buy new - 2nd hand is fine for those well-versed in the black art! I'd start looking at Rega's RP1. I live near Reading - loads of 2nd hand records on sale.

Thanks for the input guys. I have had a quick look at the Rega player before posting my query. I'd also heard the Project players were good value for money.
What exactly makes the Thorens player 'better', or indeed any player better for that matter. How much should I be paying for a Thorens?

If you can find one, I'd reccomend a S/H Manticore Mantra turntable (Best deck short of an LP12, less than £200 S/H) with a Rega RB250 arm (should come with the deck) and an Audio Technica AT95e MM cartridge (£40). If your amp does not have a phono section, the offerings from Cambridge Audio at Richer sounds are the obvious choice.

I have a Rega Planar 3 and love it but ime to get the best of it it *must* be properly sited either on a good wall shelf (like Rega's own) or on a rigid table on a solid concrete floor. I find a Sorbothane mat under the thin felt one lowers the noise floor considerably and improves coherency.

The Systemdek IIX is a good recommendation, although I've not used one in my system. A suspended subchassis design, it might be less fussy about its placement than the Rega is.

Don't forget the cartridge. While it's not the last word in hi-fi, I enjoy the AT95E as a highly engaging performer.

The likes of the Thorens, systemdeck, Mantra are a more advanced design with a suspended sub chassis on springs.

The Rega is a well thought out piece of chipboard/MDF depending on the model, and a lesson in production engineering.
The RB arms are the quality item, and if you want to take your vinyl journey further, it can be kept and moved onto a better deck.

If your in the Derby/Notts area, I've got a Manticore in the bottom of a cupboard :)

I have a thing for the Thorens TD150. I think because they are cheap as chips now and work well. You can also modify to your heart's content if that's your bag.

I've got one with a Basic Plus and Goldring 1012GX, one in th eprocess of getting a new plinth and Syrinx PU2 and am toying with a third to mount a Jelco 12 inch arm on. Probably use a Denon 103 or 304 on the latter arms.

If I din't already have the arms and most of the decks, then I might consider a Nottingham Analogue 294, 'cause they look very cool(!), but they are quite expensive to buy as a first step:)

Mike

I have a thing for the Thorens TD150. I think because they are cheap as chips now and work well. You can also modify to your heart's content if that's your bag.

I've got one with a Basic Plus and Goldring 1012GX, one in th eprocess of getting a new plinth and Syrinx PU2 and am toying with a third to mount a Jelco 12 inch arm on. Probably use a Denon 103 or 304 on the latter arms.

If I din't already have the arms and most of the decks, then I might consider a Nottingham Analogue 294, 'cause they look very cool(!), but they are quite expensive to buy as a first step:)

Mike

I have no idea what you just said!!!

Ah, sorry.

The Thorens TD150 is a really nice deck that costs very little to buy second hand. Most will not have their original tonearm anymore, but will be fitted with something else. They tend to be very cheap, unless someone has invested a lot of time and money in modifying them.

I have two of them at the moment - one has a Linn Basic Plus arm on it, which is fitted with a Goldring 1012GX cartridge. It makes nice music through an original Naim Nait and either B&W speakers or a pair of Linn Katans. The other is waiting to have a syrinx PU2 arm fitted and a new cartridge that will likely be a denon dl103 or dl304.

As they are easily modifiable and cheap to acquire, I am thinking of buying another to put a Jelco arm on that is longer than the arms mentioned above. Because the arms move in an arc there is always some error in how the cartridge tracks the record groove and a longer arm should reduce this. This latter is really just a bit of fun though. I enjoy listening to music whatever the source:)

Hope that helps a bit. You will need a turntable, and arm and a cartridge. The arm and cartridge are likely to be included with any budget or second hand deck, but you shoul check before parting with cash.

You may also need a phono stage (preamplifier), but I don't know whether your current amp has that facility or if you'll need to buy one as well. Someone will advise.

Best

Mike

That makes more sense to me, thank you :)
So when we're talking about modifying is that a case of changing the arm and cartridge or is there more to it?

I know I do have a 'phono' selection on my source buttons but not sure if anything else needs to be added. I'm sure a quick scan of my manual will clarify.

I have seen some polished acrylic plinths on eBay for the Rega. These may not suit all tastes but I like the look and it certainly gives a more modern take on the look of the turntable. Will this affect the sound produced from the player? If so is it likely to be for the better or worse?

That makes more sense to me, thank you :)
So when we're talking about modifying is that a case of changing the arm and cartridge or is there more to it?

I know I do have a 'phono' selection on my source buttons but not sure if anything else needs to be added. I'm sure a quick scan of my manual will clarify.

I have seen some polished acrylic plinths on eBay for the Rega. These may not suit all tastes but I like the look and it certainly gives a more modern take on the look of the turntable. Will this affect the sound produced from the player? If so is it likely to be for the better or worse?

Modifying can go as far as you wish! I wouldn't worry too much at first.

The phono selection on your amp should be fine to start. You'll most likely need a moving magnet cartridge (which is what you'll get at this level in any case).

An acrylic plinth may make a rega sound different, and will certainly change the look. Better or worse - I don't know I'm afraid.

This is what YNWOAN was getting at.

It takes a while to fully understand the world of vinyl and record players.

At this time you are dipping in a toe as it were so keep it easy, if you enjoy take it up a notch.

Main thing is to have fun and enjoy some records.

This is what YNWOAN was getting at.

It takes a while to fully understand the world of vinyl and record players.

At this time you are dipping in a toe as it were so keep it easy, if you enjoy take it up a notch.

Main thing is to have fun and enjoy some records.

As the perpetrator of the original quote, I completely agree with Gaius

advertisement

Back