advertisement

I updated my MacBook to Sonoma 14.4 and all my dacs have disappeared

IMG-5671.jpg

Not a Mac user but I had a windows mini pc for my music, everytime I got an update something went wrong, 50% of the time my drivers disappeared, that is why I purchased the Eversolo A6. The A6 has given sterling service while I have been away for the last 6 months without one single hiccup.
Thats possibly because the A6 uses a cut down Linux O/S. Linux never forces an update and won't unless you request an update.

DV

Thats possibly because the A6 uses a cut down Linux O/S. Linux never forces an update and won't unless you request an update.

DV
plus it tends not to screw fundamental subsystems after an update.

Have run linux since the mid 90's (professional and personally) and it was a pain in the early years getting stuff like wifi running but that was 15+ years ago.

But no matter what OS, the golden rule for "mission" critical home systems (audio for example) is do a test upgrade on a cheap system that mimics "production". Never depend on whether the OS or the program being upgraded can be reinstalled/rolled back.

Obviously Windows can make stopping upgrades hard (it can be done) but not wanting to appear a Linux "fanboi", you dont need to be a geek to install it, it supports many good audio software packages, doesnt need massive amounts of hardware to run and doesnt suffer upgrade issues.

Peter

I first used Linux more than 30 years ago! I was at the time working for ESA in Germany and I had to download the Linux code overnight through the then 'fast' 2Mbps leased lines ESA had to the US such as GSFC. Of course the code then had to be compiled etc etc.

For resilience macOS stands out for both restore, roll-back and down-grade of your system. Linux/Unix needs a bit more with sleeves rolled up whilst Windows is pathetic without paid for 3rd party stuff.

Linux although its getting better does need someone with 'the knowledge' to really set it up for your average user. But once there I feel its a much better experience. It doesn't unlike Apple and M$ attempt to steal your info and lock you in.

DV

plus it tends not to screw fundamental subsystems after an update.

Have run linux since the mid 90's (professional and personally) and it was a pain in the early years getting stuff like wifi running but that was 15+ years ago.

But no matter what OS, the golden rule for "mission" critical home systems (audio for example) is do a test upgrade on a cheap system that mimics "production". Never depend on whether the OS or the program being upgraded can be reinstalled/rolled back.

Obviously Windows can make stopping upgrades hard (it can be done) but not wanting to appear a Linux "fanboi", you dont need to be a geek to install it, it supports many good audio software packages, doesnt need massive amounts of hardware to run and doesnt suffer upgrade issues.

Peter

I don't know if Macs can be set to update or upgrade the OS automatically, none of mine do.
In 28 years of using them personally and professionally I've only had a problem with an upgrade (when Apple changed from HFS+ to APFS and I had an HDD in my iMac) and not a single issue with any update.
I confess that I avoid upgrades like the plague, usually only do so after 6 or so months after they're out, sometimes even skipping a version... Most of them are pointless from a user as well as performance perspective anyway.
Hardware wise they've always just worked, even some used and rather bruised I bought off eBay.

DV

Not really, it uses Android which is now more of a separate branch or distro and has little in common with "linux"

Android uses a linux kernel but it's more of a complex high level OS running on a simple linux OS

Not really, it uses Android which is now more of a separate branch or distro and has little in common with "linux"

Android uses a linux kernel but it's more of a complex high level OS running on a simple linux OS
At the end of the day it depends on the accepted definition and today thats far from water-tight. I would say that Android is based on Linux and some would argue that its a Linux distribution developed by Google who makes the base Android source code publicly available. Without Linux there wouldn't be an Android as we know it today.

Linux is a kernel written and developed by Linus Torvalds as a free replacement for the Unix kernel which is copywrite protected by Bell labs/AT&T and you have to pay for a license to use it. From the creation of Linux kernel we now have several 'distributions' such as Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian and many others.

Its surprising to find cut down Linux kernels in many devices today.

DV

Rather than get annoyed, fed up or whatever I’m not even bothering any more.

Also, slightly more alarmingly iCloud and Time Machine seem completely broken so I’ve lost pretty much all files. I spent the first day scrambling and worrying but now I’ve realised there’s actually very little indeed that I really care about loosing.

Just play some LP’s or CD’s in the meantime. Thats what I’ve always done when the streamers and hardware demand an update, network has a random issue or some other reason the streaming won’t work. It’s just so tedious fault finding this nonsense.

Checked my two Mac Minis and both are running Sonoma 14.4 with no issues and quite a few DACs. Probably no consolation but all our work Windows machines were taken out up to a week with a software update. Also my work brand new Dell is now super slow, getting very hot and crashing some since the same update

My evidence is scant since I waited a day after the update before attempting to stream music, but I've tried different cables, tried a different powered hub, and tried direct connection in all 3 ports with no hub - nothing. My external SSD drives show but none of 3 possible dacs. Anyone else had this? It's slightly annoying.
Made the mistake of updating my Mac Mini….i can see my DAC but all the controls to select sound etc are greyed out

advertisement

Back