advertisement

I think I need to try Shahinian Larcs

I thought it seemed a bit weird they'd discontinue their most recent model but...
Pear Audio said:
Larcs are not currently in production, Super Elfs haven't been available for 15 years. Currently available are Compass, Arc and Obelisk.

Interestingly, the Shahinian website still shows Super Elf, Hawk and Diapason as available!

Seems Dueval might be an interesting altenative. But, saying that, I've not seen any for sale ...or Shahinians!
My Ocellias are too big for your situation I think.

Yep, I really do not know why the web page cannot be updated, makes no sense period, but then again, I suppose if they are getting all the business they can handle, why change a thing? A rush on orders could create more havoc....I had wondered if things would change regarding this now that Dick has passed on, guess not. I still really do not understand the limited, or next to zero interest in the US market though. No dealers, support nil. Better support in the UK from John Burns/Pear.

Shahinian Super Elf - if you can find a pair - should be on your list.

I’ve owned Arcs, Compasses and Larcs as well.

For me the Super Elfs had something special.

#RegretSelling !
I also regretted selling my first pair but this second pair I have now sound even better than I remember the first pair ever sounding - the seller (also a Shahinian fan) did say they were the best he had heard. Also had two pairs of Arc Mark 1s of slightly different vintages and they also sounded quite different to each other - but I do much prefer the sparkle of the Super Elves.

Having owned and/or heard at length every Shahinian model except the Diapason, I would say they the Larc is unmatched. They are certainly more detailed and tuneful than the Compass , although I’ve not heard the mk2 Compass. If they are sitting directly on thick carpet it’s worth putting something solid under them.

As to being harsh or spitty, they can be when new but mine are now 3 years old and as smooth as silk

If space were no object I would still go for Obelisks, but my current abode won’t take them and the Larcs are sublime. Warning though, they will show up weaknesses upstream, especially with your power amp. Like all Shahinian, they are not easy to drive. I use Dynavector amps, I also tried them with a Nait2 and they sounded nice but a Nait3 couldn’t drive them at all.

I’m surprised to hear they have been discontinued, they are still on the Pear Audio page

If space were no object I would still go for Obelisks, but my current abode won’t take them and the Larcs are sublime. Warning though, they will show up weaknesses upstream, especially with your power amp. Like all Shahinian, they are not easy to drive. I use Dynavector amps, I also tried them with a Nait2 and they sounded nice but a Nait3 couldn’t drive them at all.

I’m surprised to hear they have been discontinued, they are still on the Pear Audio page
Maybe it's just down to timing but I've seen a few Arcs and Obelisks for sale, plus they're still making them - I'd try them both if I had the space. Power amp will probably end up being something like a NAP 110 or 140 although I'm wondering about Cyrus as a potential alternative.

I recently bought a pair of LARC’s ex demo. Maybe dealers are moving them on because they have been discontinued?

oh, and I love them. :D

I recently bought a pair of LARC’s ex demo. Maybe dealers are moving them on because they have been discontinued?
Yeah, I'd hoped I'd still find a pair lurking at a dealer and tried ringing a couple to no avail. Out of interest, where did you get yours?

Ed, did you email John Burns/Pear Audio about availability as well as manufacture? He is the most likely to know of a pair.

Best of luck in your search.

Ed, did you email John Burns/Pear Audio about availability as well as manufacture? He is the most likely to know of a pair.

Best of luck in your search.
Thanks Alex. He suggested it was possibly 3/4 years since they'd last had them shipped over so it was likely that all had gone from dealers - but maybe it's time for me to ring the ones I didn't call before...

Thanks Alex. He suggested it was possibly 3/4 years since they'd last had them shipped over so it was likely that all had gone from dealers - but maybe it's time for me to ring the ones I didn't call before...

Did you ever find any Larcs?

I’ve been living with mine now for two years ( this pair is actually 4 years old) and they are now run in . They have changed character quite a lot.

Upthread someone said the treble could be spitty. When not run in this is very true. When run in there is just no spit at all, they become smooth as silk and almost voluptuous . Yet are still the most revealing speaker I have ever heard.

Also, the bass has filled out a lot . I did doubt the bass capabilities , but it’s all there . Not as “big” as from the Obs for example, but the thwack of a bass drum from these speakers is unmatched . One piece of advice - keep them on the floor and don’t put them directly on carpet. Mine are on two slabs of granite and it makes a real difference. Carpet just swallows the bass.

These are probably the best speakers I have ever owned, unless you want foundation shaking bass , which I don’t. They are a work of genius . But they do need a decent amp.

[QUOTE="deserter, post: 4104207, member: 2543"These are probably the best speakers I have ever owned, unless you want foundation shaking bass , which I don’t. They are a work of genius . But they do need a decent amp.[/QUOTE]

Might get my set out of storage and give them a go now that my upstream systems are finally sorted (and getting the best music ever).

And this is from someone who told me that Obs "were the best speakers in the world" (and I love them Paul, thank you).

They must be good!

Hi Peter...hope you are well. I stand by both statements. If you want a big room filling speaker with thunderous yet agile bass, you can’t beat the OB

If you want a tiny speaker with tremendous punch and detail yet also a room filling sound, but minus the thunderous bass, Larcs are unbeatable. By the way the bass is all there, just less of it. The Obs probably also do ambience a bit better as the Larcs are more in yer face. In my current abode I would be kicked out if I had Obs

I’ve owned Larcs for around four years. Originally bought them to keep the wife happy. Have to say they are great speakers. You can literally plonk them anywhere and they sound great.

They are also very easy to drive. They’re obviously not the last word in bass but that department is far better than you’d imagine. They made me sell my little Harbeths which I never thought I’d do.

Highly recommend.

PJ

I did - I picked up a nice ex-dem ebony pair just before Xmas and have been mightily impressed! Amazing sound from a comparatively unobtrusive box - they sit either side of the fireplace and get pulled out into the room for listening. So pleased I managed to get them.
Hi Ed
It would be great to see a photo, I've never seen a pair of Larc's in anything other than (as mine are) Oak.

advertisement

Back