advertisement

I quit cable TV

So, what is the alternative to cable if, like me, there is no way you'll have Sky .
Frankly, there is just so much rubbish on television I don't really require extra channels.
If I lived on my own I wouldn't have a TV...

Freeview or Freesat gets you

Regular BBC1, 2, ITV, C4 and 5.
BBC4 for Friday night music, docs and Only Connect
BBC3 for occasional comedy
E4 for Big Bang Theory and the like
Dave for comedy repeats and some originals
Quest for factuals
Food Network for repeats of Nigella
... with a brace of '+1' delayed channels for schedule conflict resolution.

Having forked out for an apple-tv box, I took out the Netflix subscription as well. Film choice is a bit meh, granted, but I find it worth every single penny not just for the ability to catch up on several series worth of Dexter, but to do so with no adverts whatsoever. In all honesty, even with the limited menu of offerings, it has put me right off terrrestial tv - and Sky with its hefty subscription fee plus 15-20 minutes per hour of bloody advertising (even with Sky plus). Bit of a game changer on that front I find.
We haven't had live TV for a couple of years. We are now able to get back on Freesat if I get my drill out and put a dish up. But a few weeks ago we saw some live TV and the adverts really freaked me out. I honestly can't imagine going back to all that dross. But I've got 8 cables hanging out of the wall where the dish is supposed to go....!

We haven't had live TV for a couple of years. We are now able to get back on Freesat if I get my drill out and put a dish up. But a few weeks ago we saw some live TV and the adverts really freaked me out. I honestly can't imagine going back to all that dross. But I've got 8 cables hanging out of the wall where the dish is supposed to go....!

Get an HDD recorder with the facility to 'partial delete'. It takes a minute or two to snip the adverts out of a one hour prog.

so you can be bored by downton abbey a year late, watch charlie rose suck up to some despicable guest and get spied on in the process?

vuk.

I'm thinking more like American Experience, Nova and Nature.

To hell with spying...more than five minutes observing my data stream or mining my habits would be torture. Bring on the clipper chip and magic lanterns.

I'm in the same boat, and despite being with Virgin for 7 years or so I have yet to be informed regarding any increases.

Like many I reckon that I can manage with Freeview (and buy a smart TV earlier than I intended so that we can easily catch up on stuff we've missed), which leaves the dilemma of choosing a broadband and phone package, especially as virgin cable rates as being the best service in terms of capacity.

Any suggestions, including the question as to whether or not virgin just do a broadband/phone package and perhaps why when virgin is a cable service you still pay for a phone line (it has always confused me!!)

The last time I asked Virgin it was twenty five quid for the broadband on its own. As for the phone which I can happily do without, it's itemised on my bill as fifteen quid a month line rental. As you say it all comes down one line so they're just ripping me and everyone else off.

The last time I asked Virgin it was twenty five quid for the broadband on its own. As for the phone which I can happily do without, it's itemised on my bill as fifteen quid a month line rental.

...you can get it for ten if you pay a year in advance .:p

advertisement

Back