advertisement

I once had a ....

I once had a pair of AR38 speakers that I should never have sold.
A brand new SL1200 mk2. Why, oh why did I sell it?
I never sell anything any longer. Too many regrets.

Not exactly hi-fi and not exactly "sold". When I moved out to shack up with my girlfriend (with parental disapproval), my old man dumped my Wurlitzer 200A electric piano in one of his tidying-up purges. I've never really forgiven him, even though he is dead. Grumpy auld basturt.

A few amps that I wish I'd squirreled away instead of selling;
  • a pair of Beam Echo DL-35 - didn't actually think they sounded especially remarkable but pretty rare and cool to have
  • a pair of Quad II that had been resprayed a slightly odd colour but worked perfectly and cost me peanuts
  • an unusual Croft preamp called the 'Croft Integrated', similar case to the micros but kinda dark brown iirc. Worked really well with the Quads and Beam Echos.

Also still regret selling my LP12, a bargain find from some online classifieds, possibly HifiWorld? Early, non-fluted, rosenut I think, with Grace 707, lovely condition. Here it it in fact, must have taken this pic shortly after getting it home >20years ago:

I really regret selling a pair of speakers, made by Jim Rogers for the Wilson Stereo Library.
White cabinets, with bass reflex loading, somewhat larger than the LS3/5A.

Kef B110s and Audax tweeters, of a type used in some BBC speakers.
On two pairs were ever made.

Last edited:
I’m arguably far too good at keeping stuff, the house is rammed full to a pretty ridiculous extent!
You need to invest in a storage unit someplace local for yourself TL.

I have now moved into a 46 year old one bedroom bungalow with plenty of attic storage space, at last I can have all my vintage Hi-Fi and vinyl collection returned, the total contents of my crammed shipping container. It's all been in storage for 20 years now. :(

2024 is gonna be a busy fun year, yippee.

Watch this space...

I’ve had lots of things that I’ve never missed, except for my first amplifier - a silver Technics SU-V3. It was beautiful & had an excellent phono stage I thought was typical of all amplifiers until I started upgrading, so to speak. It took a couple more amplifiers before I got one that I felt happy again with. In fact I bought another V3 out of nostalgia last year, I think it was. The phono stage is as good as I remembered but the rest of the unit needs work I’m unqualified to do.

Thread for stuff we once had but no longer...and we still weep !

Found a Fons CQ TT with SME arm at a boot fair, cost me £1, swapped it for a Croft Valve pre and power amp set up.....whch I sold on, oh I wish.

Marantz CD85

Pair of Revox A77s
A77, Very nice indeed

A few amps that I wish I'd squirreled away instead of selling;
  • a pair of Beam Echo DL-35 - didn't actually think they sounded especially remarkable but pretty rare and cool to have
  • a pair of Quad II that had been resprayed a slightly odd colour but worked perfectly and cost me peanuts
  • an unusual Croft preamp called the 'Croft Integrated', similar case to the micros but kinda dark brown iirc. Worked really well with the Quads and Beam Echos.

Also still regret selling my LP12, a bargain find from some online classifieds, possibly HifiWorld? Early, non-fluted, rosenut I think, with Grace 707, lovely condition. Here it it in fact, must have taken this pic shortly after getting it home >20years ago:
Grace is a nice arm, Was that a K9 cartridge in the pic?

I regret selling on an Arcam Black Box in the 90s. I bought it for I think about £100 & sold it on to someone I know. They started going up a bit in value after that

Rega P25... replaced it with a gloss white RP6 (which is great) but the P25 must rank as the prettiest Rega ever. Silver RB600 was very nice.

advertisement

Back