advertisement

I need help: Tannoy Arden Legacy, Arden (HDP), SGM 1000, Canterbury SE

Hm, I think I don't get it. In post #14 i was talking about a surround that looks like a w also used in other 15" (high efficiency pa) drivers.:confused:

@cooky1257 Thank you, I'm still a bit puzzeling about the driver thing because they could have used their 15" PP Alnico drivers from the prestige series for the Arden Legacy. Aren't they superior?
tannoy-legacy-eaton-tannoy-legacy-cheviot-tannoy-legacy-arden-lautsprecher-stereo-46145.jpg

Here you can see the crossover:
tannoy-legacy-eaton-tannoy-legacy-cheviot-tannoy-legacy-arden-lautsprecher-stereo-46137.jpg

I'm also afraid that they are a bit too bass heavy or too reduced in the midrange compared to the heights and the bass.

Hm, I think I don't get it. In post #14 i was talking about a surround that looks like a w also used in other 15" (high efficiency pa) drivers.:confused:
You'l find that type of pleated fabric in the lean sounding 80's monitors.

@cooky1257 Thank you, I'm still a bit thinking (?) about the driver thing because they could have used their 15" PP Alnico drivers from the prestige series for the Arden Legacy. Aren't they superior?
They could have and to be genuine 'Legacy' you could argue they should have, though that would price them into the Prestige range so what would be the point-just choose a Prestige model.
The AlNiCo drivers in their current form are as good as they can be but they are very expensive to manufacture, the TW drivers are cheaper to make but they measure better and sound 'as good'.

I'm still a bit thinking (?) about the driver thing because they could have used their 15" PP Alnico drivers from the prestige series for the Arden Legacy. Aren't they superior?

The Alnico/‘pepper-pot’ is just a far more expensive way to make a driver. The thing that amazes me with the new Legacy range is just how good value they are, I bet there wouldn’t be any profit margin in sticking the Prestige range driver in a cab for £6k. The Arden looks like a bargain to me assuming the reports of it sounding good are accurate. There are very few proper big speakers around today, and even fewer under say £10k. IIRC the Canterbury (Alnico/pepperpot) costs about £18k!

Thank you all very much. I appreciate your advices because I have absolutely no experience with Tannoy speakers. I'm looking for the 15" driver speakers because I like to have the omph of the Klipsch CWIII back but a more refined sound with a better tonality.

If you really think the current Arden Legacy is as good as the older ones I'm much more interested in buying a current one then an older one because the older ones are very rare and will need service and effort. I'd like to buy and listen. I also prefer the look of the Legacy Arden (except for the 3 parted (?) grill.

I thought (because of the measurements) that the newer Ardens aren't as linear as the original Ardens (RM,GM, HDP).

It would be really interesting for me to get to know the impedance curve. Normally the LP magazine shows them but in this case they haven't, I don't know why.

@cooky1257 Thank you, I'm still a bit puzzeling about the driver thing because they could have used their 15" PP Alnico drivers from the prestige series for the Arden Legacy. Aren't they superior?
tannoy-legacy-eaton-tannoy-legacy-cheviot-tannoy-legacy-arden-lautsprecher-stereo-46145.jpg

Here you can see the crossover:
tannoy-legacy-eaton-tannoy-legacy-cheviot-tannoy-legacy-arden-lautsprecher-stereo-46137.jpg

I'm also afraid that they are a bit too bass heavy or too reduced in the midrange compared to the heights and the bass.

This thread does really highlight just what a bargain Tannoys of any vintage are, take a Mk1 Arden-in todays money that's a £14k loudspeaker for around £2k...

You really need to get infront of a few pairs before making any decisions.

Looking at that crossover construction just re-affirms my belief that fancy cables are an utter waste of time - spade connectors !

Personally, I would insist that you try to find 15 inch and 12 inch to listen to.

Enjoy the search and don't grab the first option if it isn't what you think you'd prefer.

Enjoy the music.

Hi. Old Shutterhand is a fan of the sound of Harbeth speakers. I love Harbeth too, but would like to try Tannoy. I have £8,000 and would like to get the best possible Tannoy for the money. After owning a Harbeth, the question of vocal fidelity is a major issue. So I am hesitant to choose speakers with a 15" driver. Perhaps I would be better off considering a Tannoy with a 12"? Right now I am considering buying a Tannoy Canterbury 15 and a Canterbury 12. I am not considering the new Tannoy Legacy series. I would also like opinions on whether the Tannoy Gold Monitor 15 in DIY boxes would be better than the Canterbury.

The Alnico/‘pepper-pot’ is just a far more expensive way to make a driver. The thing that amazes me with the new Legacy range is just how good value they are, I bet there wouldn’t be any profit margin in sticking the Prestige range driver in a cab for £6k. The Arden looks like a bargain to me assuming the reports of it sounding good are accurate. There are very few proper big speakers around today, and even fewer under say £10k. IIRC the Canterbury (Alnico/pepperpot) costs about £18k!
Just how much for tannoy do you think it cost them to manufacture their alnico drivers 15”?
As i guess, id say about 300$.

i agree theres very few big speakers on the market.
A real shame!

to me, going vintage to get the alnico magnet seem like a no brainer

You have had a strange way to show that in the past. In short no, I don't have but big Altec coax speakers with 15" drivers (and listened to Tannoy speakers) and I sold them because the voices weren't as great as with a BBC speaker design. You won't find a box speaker that does Voices as good as a Harbeth or a Graham IMO. Period. In you case if you want a bigger speaker than the SHL5+ 40th. I'd look for a M40._ or a Graham LS 5/8 or LS 5/5.
In Germany there is a LS 5/8 up for sale for a reasonable price with stand, the guy is well known in a German hifi board and it is definitely not a fake add. I wouldn't wast any time looking for big Tannoys or other brands speakers. If you, like me, are a sucker for how Harbeth presents voices everything else will be a compromise and a loss in that regard. Even the LS5/8 will not be as clear and open because of the big driver playing very high, you can't cheat the laws of physic. So I guess you only will be happy with a M40._ or a Graham LS 5/5. The Spendor Classic 100 comes to my mind too but all Spendor speakers I have owned (Spendor SP 100 R) in the past have a too soft and relaxed HF for my taste.

I really enjoyed my time with the Legacy Arden. Super easy to drive, tight, even bass, a real sense of majesty about them. I moved them on but mainly because I listen pretty quietly and a lot of their qualities don’t really get utilised until things get a bit louder.

Don't get me wrong, I neither say that such speakers are bad nor that they aren't fun, EVERY speaker is a big compromise.

You won't find a box speaker that does Voices as good as a Harbeth or a Graham IMO
Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. Yes, I've listened to Graham ls5/8 and they don't have the same vocal realism as Harbeth does. You're right about the laws of physics, a 12" driver isn't capable of reproducing the midrange as cleanly as an 8". No matter what the marketers say. Also, the ls5/8 has a problem with high frequencies, they have an early drop-off. But externally the Graham ls5/8 are quite beautiful, I'll admit that, despite my disappointment. I am not seriously considering a Spendor after owning a Harbeth. Perhaps the Harbeth m40 is the only option left.

IMO it is besides the Graham LS5/5
I understand you're with Graham now. Why did you make that decision? Is this a temporary experiment or a deliberate decision? Why did you decide to do a ls3/5 configuration with a subwoofer? How did you find this setup more interesting than the Harbeth SHL5plus?
Was buying a Graham ls3/5 with a subwoofer an attempt to get closer to the LS5/5 sound?
So many questions...
Sorry

I traded in my Altec 604 E Superduplex, which I owned after the SHL5 plus 40th. A.E.. I don't like the tone of the SHL5 plus 40th. A.E, especially the bass, anymore. I prefer the sound of the Harbeth C7 X.D. by far. The dealer was looking for a big, efficient speaker for his demo for valve amplifiers) and I bought the Graham Chartwell LS3/5a for using them in my tiny 14 sqm listening room (the Altec and the Harbeth were used in our 33 sqm living room).

Sound wise, to me, the Graham does the voices 90% as good, if not more, than any Harbeth speaker I have owned and listened to in the past bit are way more dynamic in comparison to a P3 ESR for example. Also the high impedance of 11ohm fitted properly to my 300b amplifier which I have used in with the Altecs. The subwoofer fitted in nicely and added scale and depth, the whole sound is more effortless.

Now I'm back again in our 33 sqm living room and looking for a matching speaker and I'm going back to an integrated solid state amp for space and optical and practical reasons.

I can definitely recommend Graham speakers.

If you want to take this discussion further I would appreciate if you start a new thread, but I have to say that I can't say anymore then go listen for yourself and/or buy one used.

advertisement

Back