advertisement

I must learn to leave things alone .....

Andrewxyz

pfm Member
My analogue set up hasn't been changed or fettled for ages, it was sounding good. For some stupid reason I decided to try changing the valves in my EAR 88PB phono stage, to see if I could get an improvement. The stage uses 4 x PC88's with no markings other than dP. I replaced these with some NOS Mullard's & turned everything on. No sound, but a bit of a burning smell..... Looking inside with the lid off, all 4 valves are glowing nicely , but one of the resistors in the output stage now has some brown marks around the legs where it goes into the circuit board. I suspect that's going to need a trip back to Huntingdon. I don't currently own a soldering iron & am cack handed at the best of times.

My analogue set up hasn't been changed or fettled for ages, it was sounding good. For some stupid reason I decided to try changing the valves in my EAR 88PB phono stage, to see if I could get an improvement. The stage uses 4 x PC88's with no markings other than dP. I replaced these with some NOS Mullard's & turned everything on. No sound, but a bit of a burning smell..... Looking inside with the lid off, all 4 valves are glowing nicely , but one of the resistors in the output stage now has some brown marks around the legs where it goes into the circuit board. I suspect that's going to need a trip back to Huntingdon. I don't currently own a soldering iron & am cack handed at the best of times.
The times I've thought.. Why Darren? Why didn't you just leave it alone. It worked, you were happy. Why?

advertisement

Back