advertisement

I know it’s all been said before but this is madness ….

Sloop John B

And any old music will do…
Thankfully I only get the Absolute Sound through my local library at no cost bar taxation.

But a speaker from KEF costing $7k speaker cables from Cyrstal cables costing $9.9k because they
result in “a seriously special sound with great insight into the original recording and all the music's
power and passion revealed”

.sjb

If the salesperson suggests any cables based on such spurious claims as such then ask them to pick them out 10/10 in a blind listening test, if they are that good then they will have no issues in distinguishing from a standard gauge copper cable and gained a sale, and no doubt a very healthy commission.

No, I can't see the problem with the Kef speakers either. Take the 1970's 105 'Daleks' and a good amp of that day, adjust for inflation and you will get something like seven grand.

Silly cables are silly cables, though. As always.

The silly cables have nothing to do with the speakers though? I may be missing the point, speaker cable costing more than speakers is utterly bonkers. The profit margin is so huge on cables they only need a few suckers.

As others have said, no problem with the speakers. I wouldn't consider them to be vfm, but there's no whiff of foo about them.

The cables though? I suppose if you're dumb enough and rich enough, you deserve to be ripped off. Does that sound too cynical?

No, I can't see the problem with the Kef speakers either. Take the 1970's 105 'Daleks' and a good amp of that day, adjust for inflation and you will get something like seven grand.
(...)

Agreed. If they deliver the goods sonically, they might actually seem quite "affordable"

Concerning the cables (and other extremely expensive items), I don't consider them to be con/swindle/daylight robbery just because I can't ever dream of affording them. Two lengthy trips to the Munich show have reinforced my conviction that listening with my own ears is key, after all I'm going to be doing the listening and the paying.
So:
- if you can hear the difference and buy the stuff, great
- if you can hear the difference but don't think it's worth the money, great
- if you can't hear the difference, great
Your ears, your finances :)

Agreed. If they deliver the goods sonically, they might actually seem quite "affordable"

Concerning the cables (and other extremely expensive items), I don't consider them to be con/swindle/daylight robbery just because I can't ever dream of affording them. Two lengthy trips to the Munich show have reinforced my conviction that listening with my own ears is key, after all I'm going to be doing the listening and the paying.
So:
- if you can hear the difference and buy the stuff, great
- if you can hear the difference but don't think it's worth the money, great
- if you can't hear the difference, great
Your ears, your finances :)
Sure. And the wonderful thing is that when all is said and done we may still ask: are the perceived audible benefits real or imagined?

SJB,

I am no more interested in hyper-fi now, and have lost all taste for 'special' products. I still love to hear good sounding good music though. I'm saying this because I have made my own ICs with a cable named RG316, a coax designed for high-speed data transmission. It's relatively cheap - less than €2/mt. - and is nice looking in its thin, pale pink transparent sheath. Its performance has convinced me for good that everything about special cables is idiocy even though some cables may actually 'sound' different to others.
Hope everything is fine in the green forum.
MB

Sure. And the wonderful thing is that when all is said and done we may still ask: are the perceived audible benefits real or imagined?
As long as I perceive them and consider them beneficial and it was my purchasing decision, does it really matter?

After all, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" can be rewritten for hifi :)

If someone asked me to recommend a great digital only system then I would certainly recommend the Kef Wireless models, they just make a lot of sense.

advertisement

Back