advertisement

I guess it's a rite of passage...

Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Accuphase all the way down
My <12 month old Hana ML has been trashed by events/persons unknown.

Went to play a record yesterday and 'somebody' has put the amp remote control on the TT plinth, next to the tonearm. The cantilever on the cart is bent right back, beyond the vertical.

Oh well. First world problem and I'm lucky, I can afford to be philosophical.

I'm asking the distributor whether a repair is feasible, or is it scrap? I'd be very happy to replace it like for like as it was a great performer, and ridiculous for the price.

It'll actually be interesting to revisit my Ortofon 2M Black, and see how it differs.

Re-tipping service for E,S and M series
Hana E,S and M series cartridges requiring a replacement stylus due to wear or customer damage will be swapped for a new (identical cartridge) at 80% the current retail price less UK carriage costs.​

That is so annoying.

Trashing carts is so easily done .........which is why my AT33PTG has a Paratrace stylus!

That is so annoying.

Trashing carts is so easily done .........which is why my AT33PTG has a Paratrace stylus!
Not sure who offers the best exchange deals, need to check before I pull the trigger on a Kleos. I know Dynavector will give me about £300 off my XX2 and about £150 off 20X.

Could you gently heat the stylus and try to bend it back? if you have steady hands, and some basic tools, worth a go surely before trading it in?

I've done it once before on an Ortofon and it was fine and still lives to this day on my brothers TT, but it wasnt all the way back like you say to a vertical level, it was about 90degrees.

Sorry to hear about the damage. My ML has the cantilever slightly off true - not sure if I knocked it or it was always like that. Was going to exchange it but I thought the exchange offer was a bit poor really - when you've spent nigh on a grand and the stylus is A-OK, having to fork out another £800 seems a bit excessive? Currently boxed up for emergency use only!

My <12 month old Hana ML has been trashed by events/persons unknown.

No detective work here (or best not to)? If you have a normal contents ins. cover which includes accidental damage for A-V (most do), it's worth looking at that, esp. if it's under a grand and you have a good claims history. You might get a small premium hike next time round (I didn't re. a Roksan Shiraz but that was a long time ago) but it could be financially worthwhile.

The A-V cover with acc. damage is separately assessed from the other contents (incl. valuables).

Bit sickening isn’t it, you have my sympathy. Worth firing off a pic to Goldring, through their online inquiries form: if my experience is anything to go by you’ll get a phone call from David the same day, and very reasonable terms if he thinks it might be worth having a go at repairing.

No detective work here (or best not to)? If you have a normal contents ins. cover which includes accidental damage for A-V (most do), it's worth looking at that, esp. if it's under a grand and you have a good claims history. You might get a small premium hike next time round (I didn't re. a Roksan Shiraz but that was a long time ago) but it could be financially worthwhile.

The A-V cover with acc. damage is separately assessed from the other contents (incl. valuables).
Thanks, a good point. Will investigate the insurance.

The only possible culprit other than myself is my wife, who says she didn't. I'm quite sure she'd tell me if she knew she'd done it, so she almost certainly doesn't realise, if indeed she did. And there's no way I want to make a thing of it, because why would that ever be a good idea? No recriminations, it's clearly an accident, and no harm done, really.

Ouch!

TBH I wouldn't use a third party repairer for this.
One of the main features of that cart is the ML stylus. I'm pretty sure that none of the the third party companies offer this stylus profile, and nothing bests a good ML profile IME.

Ouch!

TBH I wouldn't use a third party repairer for this.
One of main features of that cart is the ML stylus. I'm pretty sure that none of the the third party companies offer this stylus profile, and nothing bests a good ML profile IME.
Yes, my thoughts also. I'm going to explore the rebuild/replace option directly, not via a third party. Might be in the market for a relatively inexpensive tide-me-over, for the time being. Trying to look at it as an opportunity to try something I haven't had before. Favourite would be something like a part-used DV 20X2 as I've always liked them when I've heard them, but never had one.

Yes, my thoughts also. I'm going to explore the rebuild/replace option directly, not via a third party. Might be in the market for a relatively inexpensive tide-me-over, for the time being. Trying to look at it as an opportunity to try something I haven't had before. Favourite would be something like a part-used DV 20X2 as I've always liked them when I've heard them, but never had one.
Are you sure the cantilever can’t be put back in place?

Are you sure the cantilever can’t be put back in place?
I pushed it back, carefully, but I don’t think I want to trust it. Not sure it looks like it used to. At the least, I want it checking by somebody who knows what to look for.

I pushed it back, carefully, but I don’t think I want to trust it. Not sure it looks like it used to. At the least, I want it checking by somebody who knows what to look for.
You could send it to ESCO for Bevertung. They used to charge around GBP 50,00

Sure. Goldring definitely worth talking to: they didn’t charge me for checking my Art9. They should be able to tell from a picture and description if it’s worth a go.

Good timing:
I just lost the stylus protection thingy of my AT33PTGII and I'm contemplating should I remove it from the tonearm (not in use) and mount it on the currently used tonearm anyway.

Not to mention that my eyesight apparently isn't what it used to be and that my precision mechanical skills are even more terrible than in the past (and were never great).

advertisement

Back