advertisement

I’m guessing still a pretty rare Tannoy!

A few pairs have been through eBay over the years, so not that crazy rare, unless it was the same pair multiple times! I’ve never heard a pair.

Whereas, the Churchill with the V shaped port should have been more rare (or should never have existed at all).

tannoy-churchill-loudspeakers.jpg

There were Kingdom 12 and 15s ,as well, iirc.

The new Royals are not for human beings, sadly, but at 5/6 times the price of old Kingdoms, they’re for Japanese market, Middle East or USA . Ah don’t care, gonna be buried with ma Mk.1 Ardens…:cool:

IIRC that god-awful Churchill thing was designed and marketed in Canada. The port makes zero sense acoustically. 100% marketing gimmick as far as I can tell.

PS As an owner of proper Tannoys made in That London I can look down at everything, obviously.
Yeah I saw a pair here once. Didn't hear them. Thought the port was interesting.

Whereas, the Churchill with the V shaped port should have been more rare (or should never have existed at all).

tannoy-churchill-loudspeakers.jpg
We had a pair at the "show" one year. Also had them at the store for a bit.

I happened to speak to one of the designers also as these were really a concept that came out of the kitchener office.

They weren't my cup of tea, I felt them to be very studio-esque in presentation and just kinda.... 'Cold' I guess. But they were very impressive in some regards. (scale etc.)

A friend of mine has some Tannoy Special products 2 x15" HPD per cabinet. Cabinets 5' x 3 x 3. Each cabinet about 200 kg. Yes, 200 kilos each. They are vast. It took 3 removals men to heave them in. As you might imagine, they are the Tannoy ne plus ultra. They make Westminsters look modest.

A friend of mine has some Tannoy Special products 2 x15" HPD per cabinet. Cabinets 5' x 3 x 3. Each cabinet about 200 kg. Yes, 200 kilos each. They are vast. It took 3 removals men to heave them in. As you might imagine, they are the Tannoy ne plus ultra. They make Westminsters look modest.

That's not a speaker cabinet, that's a wardrobe with speakers.

Love to see a pic!

We had a pair at the "show" one year. Also had them at the store for a bit.

I happened to speak to one of the designers also as these were really a concept that came out of the kitchener office.

They weren't my cup of tea, I felt them to be very studio-esque in presentation and just kinda.... 'Cold' I guess. But they were very impressive in some regards. (scale etc.)
I remember that show, Jeff, I just can't quite recall the venue. ISTR black curtained off HT 'rooms', so perhaps a big open interior space like that of the then new London Convention Centre(?).

Nah it was the one in that, if memory serves, "selby building", can't quite remember where that is... Anyway it was in the hallway outside another room cause the rooms were too small. Had a Copland amp on it.

Nah it was the one in that, if memory serves, "selby building", can't quite remember where that is... Anyway it was in the hallway outside another room cause the rooms were too small. Had a Copland amp on it.
Across the road and just over the railway tracks from the Ceeps. Ring any bells?

That's the place. Big central atrium. Awful acoustics. 80s exposed cinderblock aesthetic, post frank Loyd wright bad version of inside out, not-a-mall commercial building. Crap. That's the place. Might be cool now for all I know but from memory that was it.

advertisement

Back