advertisement

Hypex NC***P based amp group purchase

I still haven't got my cables sorted, but I played a couple of the mono 500s in my second system, just from my phone's headphone socket as all finished arms get shipped asap, hence shortage of working decks. Sounded good - can't wait to feed them some vinyl...

Glad you all got them OK, and that some of you have had a good chance to listen. Be good to get some more reviews, Ive just found another box on NC122 at the back of some shelves so could potentially build 10 more of those in the same vein as these.

Finally got a customer listening room up and running at Chateau SUPATRAC. KJF Ncore 500s sounding very nice.

listeningroom.jpg

SUPATRAC Prototypes 1 - 4 on the chimneypiece, KJF amps replacing the old Behringer A500s at last.

I have wired my interconnects with positive to XLR pin 1 and shield to both pins 2 and 3. Would it be better to use a cable with two signal wires to pins 1 and 2, and only the hanging shield to pin 3?

I have to say that after most of a week playing plenty of music it has gotten to a point where it sounds great and is a big improvement on my previous power amplifier.

Driving it with a Matrix Audio Mini-I Pro 3 from the XLR outs, as a pre Amp for Roon and my Turntable and the improvement is great.

Very happy with the purchase @orangeart and a recommendation for anyone else thinking about getting one

I've worked it out: LED off/on/bright.
I love it when people answer their own questions!!

I have wired my interconnects with positive to XLR pin 1 and shield to both pins 2 and 3. Would it be better to use a cable with two signal wires to pins 1 and 2, and only the hanging shield to pin 3?
In fact, see below,

pin 1 on an XLR is always the shield, if you are making phono to XLR cables its worth while using this shield as you get at least some protection from EMI/RFI therefore connect it to the phono shell

Pin 2 is always 'hot' and that will want connecting to your centre pin on the phono plug

Pin 3 is 'cold' in a balanced system that would be the differential part of the signal, here though you also connect to the phono shell.

index.php

Mine is great. Much more of a soundstage than the Naim Nap100 it replaces.
Yeah, these modern class D amps have awesome soundstages. If people can only hear one difference between these and other amps, it's alway that one. Two main reasons really, the are effectively dual mono, sharing only the first components of the PSU, that gives them amazing cross talk measurements. When I was working on the SA-01 amp I had trouble measuring one channel bleeding to the next full stop. Second is they have a ridiculously low noise floor/high dynamic range which gives great instrument separation per individual channel.

I have to say that after most of a week playing plenty of music it has gotten to a point where it sounds great and is a big improvement on my previous power amplifier.

Driving it with a Matrix Audio Mini-I Pro 3 from the XLR outs, as a pre Amp for Roon and my Turntable and the improvement is great.

Very happy with the purchase @orangeart and a recommendation for anyone else thinking about getting one
That is great news Mike, now I have realised I have more of these modules to get rid of, I'll be trying to get them sold as well in the next few weeks.

Do you guys think it would be better to start another thread for that?

I have pointed a couple of people to this thread already, but if you start a new thread then it's worth linking to it from here and giving people a pointer.

Had my amp (NC122) for a week now and have had some time for a proper listen.

I've compared to my Nord One Up (NC500) and apart from better bass grip from the more powerful amp you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart. This was driving my ATC SCM40s. Case is nice quality and the whole unit was heavier than I was expecting - looks and feels impressive.

My reason for getting one of these from Stefan was to create a mini sized system for the kitchen/diner where we spend a lot of our time. We've been using a NAD D 3020 for around 5 years and this has now moved into my youngest's room. Things are now set up with my old MDAC and a Wiim Mini hooked up to the NC122 which is driving the nuts off my DIY Zaph ZD5. Huge performance from this system. Soundstage is wide and deep and the bass grip (a feature of good class D) is addictive.

If Stefan has any more of these and is still running his offer do give it some consideration - huge bang for buck and quality casework.

Thank you Stefan.

advertisement

Back