advertisement

Hype Stickers

musicman56

50 years hifi & vinyl junkie
When I was buying LPs in the 60s, 70s and 80s my young self was grossly offended by the presence of such stickers as 'Pink Floyd. Dark Side of the Moon' on, well, Dark Side of the Moon. YES, I KNOW. THAT'S WHY I'M BUYING IT!! Consequently I would religiously remove all stickers from album covers so that they could be seen in their full glory.

Now I find that I may have irretrievably reduced the value of said LPs by doing so. Frankly, I don't really care but is this really true? Who would prefer an LP with ghastly stickers defacing it? (And after all these years, difficult to remove).

Sheesh!

IMG-0040.jpg

Just posted this that I purchased prior to decimalisation with PSD price sticker (50th anniversary today) in What are you listening to. I don't think that helps put the price up though :(

If the hype sticker removed has left absolutely no residue or impression that it was ever on the album sleeve, then you might get away with it. All depends on what it is.

I leave them on usually as they can make a mess if they tear or rip off a bit of sleeve with it.

Nowadays the hype sticker is usually on the shrink wrap.

T'other day I was listening to 'Propaganda' by Sparks, for the first time in ages. There's nothing on the record sleeve to indicate what the record is, apart from a sticker in one corner with Sparks/Propaganda and a small b&w reproduction of the album cover. If memory serves, the same sort of thing is true of David Bowie's 'Low', where the track listing is on a sticker. I haven't removed either, though it looks like I may have started trying to remove the 'Propaganda' sticker and thought better of it.

For retaining value always leave hype stickers intact and ideally retain any that were on the outer shrink wrap. Only remove shop price labels, and only then if you know what you are doing and can get them off without trace!

I went through a phase of buying nearly everything released on the Denovali label a few years back. All come with a hype sticker on the shrink wrap which I have kept when I removed said wrap. Strangely some of these albums that I no longer play have fetched silly prices and yes buyers do sometimes ask if I have the hype sticker and the used DL card too.

How do you know the band didn’t want the hype sticker?

Fair point, although it's probably safe to say the sleeve designer didn't.

Worse, I have an import version of 'Raggatta De Blanc' which arrived with a big round silver sticker. Except when I went to remove it, it's not a sticker! It's printed on :0(

I went through a phase of buying nearly everything released on the Denovali label a few years back. All come with a hype sticker on the shrink wrap which I have kept when I removed said wrap. Strangely some of these albums that I no longer play have fetched silly prices and yes buyers do sometimes ask if I have the hype sticker and the used DL card too.

That's a good point - I've not been very good at keeping the download card with the vinyl. I should probably make sure I stash it back in the sleeve!

advertisement

Back