advertisement

Hurry Hurry Hurry before its too late?

I recently tried a vcr on a 4k high resolution TV , oh my gosh it was awful !!! [my poor old mum is very wedded to her vcr tapes !!]

Betamax was a better format/picture but Open University's take-up of VHS put the Kibosh on Beta in this country

My Sony 600 (?) was both top-of-the-range VCR and high quality sound recording medium as well. I then bought an all bells and whistles Akai VHS but never figured out the complexities of the thing; nor was I alone in that according to comments at the time.

Popular history blames it on Sony's refusal to licence the technology to the adult film business.

"I recently tried a vcr on a 4k high resolution TV , oh my gosh it was awful !!! [my poor old mum is very wedded to her vcr tapes !!] "

I bet. :)

I am GLAD THEY ARE DEAD AND GONE

but I still have a dvd recorder that dont do much as the tv receiver is analogue - fine recorder shame to landfill it

I still have a Sony SLV825 which was purportedly an edit deck. I bought it when the kids were young along with a Hi8 camcorder to record those precious growing up moments but I hardly used either in the end. I ought to dig them out and work out what's what in terms of the number of tapes we have and get it all transferred etc.

I have a Toshiba hifi VHS and a Sony SLV625 hifi VHS - the latter with some issues with noise in the picture due to degrading PSU caps I reckon...

On a 50 inch plasma it looks gash, but as with some others here, still have a few tapes kicking around and some of them aren't available on any other format yet...

My older 42 inch LCD looked fairly good with VHS; I suspect its analog inputs had TBC on...

I still have and use LaserDisc as well, by the way :)

I needed a functioning VCR for my studies in the mid 90's, finally lost it with my ex-rental ferguson being unable to play back any pre-recorded tapes and stonked off to Curry's to buy Sony's then top of the range machine for around £500. At the time it was absolutely the dogs bollocks in PAL NICAM recording and playback. It also had a superb stereo TV receiver in it, too. We stopped using it as anything other than a TV tuner when DVD arrived in the house in the form of the PS2 and I ended up giving it to a house mover about 12 years later.

I'm hugely relieved I flogged off my hideously expensive Cyrus DVD player before HD kicked in.

Now, CED discs, that's a lost format.

advertisement

Back