advertisement

Hummm from Raspberry Pi

NaimClontarf

pfm Member
Hi all,
I built an RPi streamer with Volumio running thro a Schiit Modi Dac into a Nait 2. It has been working a treat however yesterday I noted that when powered up it causes a hum in my system even when the turntable is selected on the amp. The source of the hum is the USB hard drive (not an ssd one) : how do I rectify this? Thanks Matt

When I had a similar problem I tried earthing the unit -- the RPi -- which alleviated the problem. I did this by running a cable that I made up from a phono plug to wall socket: the phono plug I plugged into the yellow video out socked of the RPi, the cable then wired to the earth part of a standard power plug (I also tried using the earth on the pre-amp phono section, which also worked, but I felt it better to get rid of it "directly"). Not sure how "safe" this was, but as I found what I was using the PRi for at the time -- xbmc -- to be so cumbersome, I turned it into a member of my squeezebox family and bought a WDTV Live.

I believe I've sorted it; in trying the above I lifted the drive off the wooden board it was mounted on with the Pi & hub the hum stopped!!!

Thanks for inputs..

advertisement

Back