advertisement

Humminguru in the UK

Dean Jordan

pfm Member
I'm not sure if this is recent but im glad to see the Humminguru for sale in the UK.

I have one of these are am very impressed with the results and the ease of use. I have looked at many cleaners in the past and I have had a Nessie Vinyl Master in the passed. When I got back into vinyl i would have got another but the price had shot up so much I could not really justify it. The semi automatic process helped save time and the vacum side was very quiet compared to everything else on the market I had seen.

When I came looking again for a cleaner I stumbled accross the Guru in a Instagram posting of a Vinyl enthusiast and was plesently suprised by what it did and its price. Its so simple, fill the bath to the level for the size record you are cleaning and select one of the 2 cleans you want (standard or intense) and press go. It cleans., drains and drys with no need for any action from the user.

I had to order mine from hong kong and this took time and of course the Vat i was hit with at the custom stage. Hopefully this will help get the unit out there because it does deserve to be in every home records or not lol ;)

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/humminguru-ultrasonic-vinyl-record-cleaning-machine/867143-01/

Thanks for the heads up 2manyboxes. Its £468 a true bargin :p

My bad, but seems like it wasn't to hard to find :). The terms insignificant does very much depend on the person. For the money and the short demand on time needed from the user I think its excellent value. But I did buy one o_O

You've failed to mention the price, which is not insignificant at £469.

I thought £469 was a good price when you consider the value of vinyl collections and also new vinyl. One of the reasons I sold my LP's and tt, I didn't want the extra cost of a cleaning machine and the money could be used on improving my digital side.

I’ve been using a Humminguru for about a year now. I use it with a Vinyl Vac, which gives perfect results, though that does of course add noise. If I were to buy again though, I’d probably get one of the following, in combination with the Vinyl Vac, as it cleans up to six disks in one go, plus it’s large enough to clean bigger objects and it’s cheaper.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08BZ6W4WH/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I’ve no idea how good that cleaner is, but I think that cleaning records requires using a vacuum. The results are much better than air drying, though obviously far less convenient.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Its £468 a true bargin
$299 kickstarter price
Happy Well International Enterprise LTD. is a toy manufacturer that seeks to create sustainable products with a longer lifespan, growing with kids, and offering better value for money
(16) Facebook

I double mine up with the Project VCE for drying and a final clean.

I picked up one several months back with their "The Small Bottle" surfactant, I've only ever used the shorter 5min dry cycle & records have always come out completely dry (never tried without the surfactant).

I picked up one several months back with their "The Small Bottle" surfactant, I've only ever used the shorter 5min dry cycle & records have always come out completely dry (never tried without the surfactant).

It does dry but that leaves the residual dirt behind to 'bake' back on. Repeated rinses in progressively cleaner water might help but that's a faff. I only use the HG when I'm getting clicks and pops, otherwise I'll just use the Project.

It does dry but that leaves the residual dirt behind to 'bake' back on. Repeated rinses in progressively cleaner water might help but that's a faff.
When the fluid that's vacuumed off dries out, you'll be left with an extremely fine grey powder. That powder would've dried onto the surface to cause noise. You can see the filter in the water tank turn grey with time.

I don't own a Humminguru but at the asking price, there's no need to apologize. It's a very good price for a custom designed ultrasonic record cleaner compared to what's out there. Sure you can find cheaper alternatives but you'd be essentially dealing with DIY units. And ultrasonics generally clean records better than a rinse+vacuum machine. I do think think it's good to use both methods though.

I am still learning about cleaning records with an ultrasound machine. Generally I do a couple of rounds in the machine followed by a distilled water rinse and vacuum and I am pretty convinced that these steps are needed. As the ultrasound water gets more and more soiled with use, dirt and surfactant are deposited on the cleaned record if air/blow dried; hence the need for a rinse. I can hear an improvement when I rinse and vacuum records that have been 'professionally' cleaned in an ultrasonic machine. The Humminguru is good in that a small amount of water is used and changed frequently, unlike normal-sized baths.

There is still a lot of uncertainty over the appropriate cavitation frequency & temperature, the no. of records that can be cleaned simultaneously, whether alcohol or surfactant is required, the suitable no. of rounds and duration, whether ultrasonics do gradual damage to the record, how often the water should be changed, etc. I don't expect there will be a consensus on most of these things and I just do what makes sense to me but I am still figuring out the best practice as I go along.

There is still a lot of uncertainty over the appropriate cavitation frequency & temperature, the no. of records that can be cleaned simultaneously, whether alcohol or surfactant is required, the suitable no. of rounds and duration, whether ultrasonics do gradual damage to the record, how often the water should be changed, etc. I don't expect there will be a consensus on most of these things and I just do what makes sense to me but I am still figuring out the best practice as I go along.

Very true. The surface tension of water is high and the grooves very small so the water will tend to bridge across the grooves. My thinking says the surface of the record must be fully wet including right into the grooves or the cavitation will not happen directly against the surface and the air gap will cushion the effect somewhat. As such a drop or two of surfactant is likely to be beneficial. Anyway, that is what I do.

1/ Degassing should used before each cycle cavitation bubbles that remain in the water can decrease efficiency.
2/25/50/100/200w Single , dual or Quad transducers & switching frequency 35/50/80/100/120Khz
3/Correctly cleaned & charged record will not pool water. A properly cleaned record repels water. Records should come out virtually dry.
4/ Distilled or even Tap water can be used with no extra additives with a correctly designed machine
5/ Water should not increase in Temp. Correct design 200watt high power transducers 40C after 9hours constant

advertisement

Back