advertisement

Huawei: UK 5G network provision

In Malaysia the 5G 700 MHz spectrum is to go to a single base station operator and all of the retail operators will use this. There is insufficient spectrum for each operator to do their own infrastructure and it would cost too much. I think the UK will have to do the same thing with the 700 MHz band, which is by far the most suitable for the emergency TETRA network replacement

I surmise that the UK Government's approach is to to raise a much money as possible, by allowing multiple network providers to bid for spectrum bandwidth.

Greed, not need.

I surmise that the UK Government's approach is to to raise a much money as possible, by allowing multiple network providers to bid for spectrum bandwidth.

Greed, not need.
But they need the money for the NHS.

Meanwhile if we'd all voted for Corbyn we could have had our very own Huawei?!

But they need the money for the NHS.

Meanwhile if we'd all voted for Corbyn we could have had our very own Huawei?!

It seems we have much duplication and waste with all these competing UK networks, when one good one will suffice and be better overall.

Corbyn wanted "Free" Landline Broadband (yesterday's technology), when 5G will maybe see off much of that infrastructure approach. It could be the beginning of the end of the fixed line monopolisation by Openreach and to an extent, BT.

5G requires fibre to the tower. Rural 700 MHz cells will be fairly large, so the potential for cell congestion. In urban areas it is way too easy to get poor or no indoor signal. I cannot see FTTH being unnecessary

In the Panorama documentary they showed all sorts of access points to 5g including lampposts, traffic lights and buildings in the urban environment.
Not sure how these will all be connected in to the network but fibre seems most likely.

The biggest issue to my eccentric world view is that we even need to go elsewhere for the tech!
A generation or longer of UK govs has looked at virtually any/every high tech UK industry/provider and always decided "oh we can get something that will do the job for 10% less from USA/Japan/France/whatever so that means 10% more profit/savings for us in the immediate/now time frame so we'll shut down our own industry".
They have phd's in knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing!
In the 50's we were the world leaders in aerospace, computing, electronics, nuclear power etc (yes ahead of the USA even) and we've lost the lot to short term profiteering!
Various high tech industries should never have been sold of or shut down no matter how unprofitable they were in the short term!
Personally I would like to see the gov start new nationalised industries to take up where we left off in all these tech areas... it doesn't matter if they lose billions, we need the in-house capabilities.

Thats the difference between a middle income country with ambition and the UK. Communications infrastructure including 5G is seen as an essential enabler and must be available at a sensible price to the public. I am horrified at the price of telecoms in the UK and the equipment costs the same everywhere

"oh we can get something that will do the job for 10% less from USA/Japan/France/whatever so that means 10% more profit/savings for us in the immediate/now time frame so we'll shut down our own industry"

In sector I work and conduct research in (to put it simply - microprocessor design) - it was never as simple a purely down to price. In fact 9 times out of 10, those techs in US/Japan and mainland Europe for standalone microprocessor chips, were better light years in front of anything going on in the UK. On the whole apart from ARM and they really didnt actually make much (more a licencing of their designs company) they were not only cheaper, but they were better.

in some case it can be in others not.......it matters not slip of the keyboard, pah who cares - it is doable.......

Ok so you validate a board, then they upload new software or bitstream, replace a board, repair a board, how do you keep track of all that?, once it's changed you have to run the entire validation from scratch.

I am horrified at the price of telecoms in the UK and the equipment costs the same everywhere

you might be forgetting how much the TelCo's had to pay get their spectrum licences. There is only one way they are going to make that money back.

In sector I work and conduct research in (to put it simply - microprocessor design) - it was never as simple a purely down to price. In fact 9 times out of 10, those techs in US/Japan and mainland Europe for standalone microprocessor chips, were better light years in front of anything going on in the UK. On the whole apart from ARM and they really didnt actually make much (more a licencing of their designs company) they were not only cheaper, but they were better.

I'm going back to when computers were discrete! The rot had well set in by the time IC's were around!
We invented the computer and with Blechley Park and UMIST tech were way ahead of the rest of the world.
The very fact that ARM Holdings was allowed to be sold off is a case in point.

If we had the brains in the UK to invent computers, radar, hovercraft and jet engines basically from first principles and to design and build the worlds first nuclear power station then we can do it again... all it takes is the will and a hell of a lot of money. Profit should not be a motive. That may come over time. If there was total war once again we don't even have the capacity to make steel to build tanks now! or maybe one steelworks left running..? but completely inadequate.

Until very recently companies like Huawei were not making their own chips. The design of ASICS and FPGAs does not mean that you have to make the silicon.

Couldn't the UK use end-to-end encryption on devices to prevent Huawei from intercepting data over a 5G network?

What I'm envisioning is converting the data stream to the thickest, most incomprehensible Glaswegian, Geordie or Scouse accent then transmitting that modified data from the source over the 5G network. At the other end you employ a Glaswegian, Geordie or Scouse to convert the indecipherable data back into something that regular people can understand.

IIRC The USA used some Native American speakers ('indians' to us dimwits) to talk over voice radio comms in the Pacific because they knew the Japanese would find it difficult to understand. 8-] I can't recall what Nation they were, though.

The biggest issue to my eccentric world view is that we even need to go elsewhere for the tech!
A generation or longer of UK govs has looked at virtually any/every high tech UK industry/provider and always decided "oh we can get something that will do the job for 10% less from USA/Japan/France/whatever so that means 10% more profit/savings for us in the immediate/now time frame so we'll shut down our own industry".
They have phd's in knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing!
I

Exampled by the way the Government allowed ARM to be flogged off.

edit; Oops! Only after that did I read it had already been said!

Worries of this kind aren't new. I can recall from a few decades ago when it was an area of interest for me that people were worried about some of the non five eyes chips going into military aircraft.

Jim,

IIRC The USA used some Native American speakers ('indians' to us dimwits) to talk over voice radio comms in the Pacific because they knew the Japanese would find it difficult to understand. 8-] I can't recall what Nation they were, though.

Yup, mostly Navajo peeps, Native Americans from Southwestern US. They were called code talkers. XKCD even had a comic about the practice.

code_talkers.png

Joe

advertisement

Back