advertisement

HRH’s Playlist

Barbra Streisand, Edith Piaf, Diana Ross ... why no Gloria Gaynor?

I Will Survive is a perfect anthem for HRH. Should be played at each and every royal event, right after GSTQ.

Maybe use the version of GSTQ by the Sex Pistols, followed by a nice drum solo, then a seamless transition to IWS?

I wouldn't mind owning "La Mer". It's a film soundtrack staple. The rest.. depressingly predictable sort of stuff. Thought he was supposed to be a secret roots reggae fan? According to internet rumour that is.

I guess he had to pretend to like a couple of Welsh things. I would have thought Stereophonics would have been more up his street, mind.

My guess is he really, really likes the Three Degrees/Diana Ross/Streisand stuff, and the rest is box-ticking, though how anyone could include the Godawful Peter Skellern on a list of favourite songs is beyond me.*

* At this point, someone usually pipes up to say they're closely related to/a close personal friend of whoever I'm slagging off. It was Julie Burchill last time, and Carla Lane the time before that. But Peter Skellern? C'mon.

Pretty crap taste there.. other than the Peter Skellern natch.

Might as well have named Ross's "I'm coming out" if he wasn't married!

I met him way back in the '90s and during our brief conversation I asked him if he was into Shostakovich, specifically Shostakovich 5. He said no and that was that. Bloody philistine!

I met him way back in the '90s and during our brief conversation I asked him if he was into Shostakovich, specifically Shostakovich 5. He said no and that was that. Bloody philistine!

George V was famously philistine.

One one occasion he had to go to the opera. He asked his aide which opera was to be performed, 'La Boheme' was the answer. 'Ah, good' said the King, 'that is my favourite.' 'May I ask why, Your Majesty?' 'Because it is much the shortest'.

If memory serves me right. "Dynatron" held a royal warrant cos they built systems in frou frou regency style cabinets? His Aston Martin would Naim loaded ?
$_86.JPG

George V was famously philistine.

One one occasion he had to go to the opera. He asked his aide which opera was to be performed, 'La Boheme' was the answer. 'Ah, good' said the King, 'that is my favourite.' 'May I ask why, Your Majesty?' 'Because it is much the shortest'.

I've heard various things on the lines that members of the royal family around George 6th time and later were very into jazz and blues.... Rumours of after hours jam session with several royals, including on bass and drums, accompanying Duke Ellington (in fact I heard Duke say this in an interview) and blues records sessions in Buck house etc

advertisement

Back