advertisement

How to Package a 401?

Simon Dawson

Angry, Ill & Ugly
I've bought a Garrard 401, see here, and need to have it shipped to me. The seller is asking for instructions on how to prepare it for shipping. I have no experience of these decks so am after some advice.
I assume that there should be some transit screws to clamp the motor and that the platter should be lifted and supported to protect the bearing - anything else?

Simon

Remove the platter - it may require a gentle tap on the spindle whilst applying upwards pressure on the platter. This sometimes requires three or more arms ....

Underneath there should be two screws which tighten and lock the motor on it's springs. However the motor cage may be missing (a lot of people remove them), so you'd need to pack the motor to stop it from rattling around. (This is based on 301, but I think 401 is very similar.)

It might also be worth draining the oil from the bearing by removing the plate at the bottom (two bolts).

Obviously pack platter and chassis separately (and spaced apart) with good semi-solid packing material all in a box 3-4 inches bigger all round.

And congratulations - I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Thanks Patrick - I've passed that on to the seller. I should have the beast next week. It looks like it needs some work so expect a load of dumb 401 questions to pop up shortly.

It's currently fitted with a 10" Audio Technica arm - 1005 mk II. There is an SME 3009 series 3 arm for sale locally at the moment - is this likely to be an improvement over the A-T and a good match for the Garrard?

Simon

Thanks - I thought the price was not too bad (it's what happens when the auction finishes at 3 pm I guess). I'm down in the Wairarapa are you still in Auckland? I might be chasing you for plans of your recessed plinth soon!

Well done Simon, especially as you out bid all the dealers who pack them up and send them to Asia.
Errol.

advertisement

Back