advertisement

How to get into an epos es22 speaker? Its a mystery.

westsounds

pfm Member
Any epos es22 owners / modifiers on here? Bit of a Naim'y site and people often use these speakers with them so I thought it may be worth an ask.

These seem to be the one of the worst speakers to get into it seems.

I not sure if they were just factory sealed this way but there appears to be no easy way to get into them without causing damage.

They dont have crossovers as such but they are tri-wire configuration and I have no intension of ever using them that way. I want to combine the input terminals so I can just use one set of plugs. The way its configured now is just unpractical unless you've got 3 sets of wires going into them. You cant even bridge them. I have concocted many DIY jumpers over the years but they are often clunky and I just want one set of terminals, and if I want to change wire as well its just simple. But so far getting in is mission impossible
C:\Users\Ed\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image002.gif
:)

The 11s 12s were easy and were just bolted through and the bass drivers were moulded to the front plate, which did make things very awkward for replacements but at least they were easy to get into.

From distant memory of damaged ones on ebay, the front black facia is stuck on and covers the driver fixing. Bloody stoopid idea as its destructive getting them open.

Yes it is a very stoopid design, but it happens to be one of my favourite speakers which I've had for some time and intend to keep. They are totally an odd design and speaker to live with actually, unpractical in so many ways. Be it positioning, amplification, tri-wiring and now modifying or just getting into it seems :D

Been on my list to try, supposed to be best of the ES series .

I can't find pics, but F style plugs ring a bell. Naim plugs soldered onto carefully stripped cable.

Been on my list to try, supposed to be best of the ES series .

I can't find pics, but F style plugs ring a bell. Naim plugs soldered onto carefully stripped cable.

Yes I think they were the best they ever made, and magic old speakers when partnered right, they are in a class of their own really at some of the things they do really well, just a bit of an oddball to live with. And almost impossible to replace repair though it seems, well easily anyway. One of my favourites speakers of all time though, even though I am very fond of the 11s and 14s as well from another epos era.

Fronts do peel off and stick well when refitted, well they did on mine! Mine are long gone though.

BFA sockets on rear and Epos supplied jumpers for single wiring.

Fronts do peel off and stick well when refitted, well they did on mine! Mine are long gone though.

BFA sockets on rear and Epos supplied jumpers for single wiring.

oh really, they seem to be firmly stuck in on mine, not sure I want to break the seal around the cone if its well planted either, I wonder what type of glue it is.

And I don't have those jumpers, I'd rather them be on one set of terminals so I could just plug in no faffing with cheap jumpers, unless it was the same wiring as the inside obviously, but I didn't have those anyway.

Set of foam covers would have been nice for the front as well. I have made some though and they look quite boutique but the thick foam grills that these used to have were good. I had a few other sets which had them but these didn't come with them, unfortunately, but that's another thing.

oh really, they seem to be firmly stuck in on mine, not sure I want to break the seal around the cone if its well planted either, I wonder what type of glue it is.

And I don't have those jumpers, I'd rather them be on one set of terminals so I could just plug in no faffing with cheap jumpers, unless it was the same wiring as the inside obviously, but I didn't have those anyway.

Set of foam covers would have been nice for the front as well. I have made some though and they look quite boutique but the thick foam grills that these used to have were good. I had a few other sets which had them but these didn't come with them, unfortunately, but that's another thing.

Definitely stuck well but I seem to recall that you have to ease the bottom away then keep the tension on from there to stop it curling. No idea what glue but it may have hardened now, making it harder. Surprisingly easy to refit too, starting around the bass drivers.

I thought I still had some original jumpers but had a quick look and they are hiding.

Id leave well alone unless replacing a driver. In saying that I sold my pair to a mate. He had to remove covering to check out a mid driver. He managed ok. Turns out it was a failed joint. He soldered/ resoldered ok and didn't need the mid driver he bought from lockwood. I bought them back off him 10 years ago pronto when he was going to Martin logans. Brilliant speakers. Was going to sell them along with 2 other floorstanders to rationalise gear recently. Replace with atc 40 mk2s or that level of speaker anyway.
Set them up again 3weeks ago with a cds3,nac52 and chord 1200c. Absolutely fantastic. May not now sell. Suspect they would cost loads to replace and I may still regret.
Currently single wired with naca5. Made up a triple link at speaker terminals using speaker cable , large entry bananas and a pomona dual entry plug. Bit heath Robinson. Works fine. Sounds great.They are wonderful speakers.
Ps got es11s too.

I don't suppose he'd be interested in selling the mid-driver by any chance? I've got a pair but the mid buzzes on sub-bass which I'm guessing is due to a distorted voice coil. I need to sell on the speakers so it would be easier with this resolved.
Cheers
Simon

Sorry. I'm keeping it along with the 22s - just in case. Only other way would be to buy an old pair of 22s second hand for parts. Bit extreme. Depends how much you like them.

I'll be selling them as is I guess. I switched to some much larger PMCs some time ago and kept these for the second system I never needed....

Well, here's a picture of the front cover off (on the floor).
https://ibb.co/DgGgnJQ
The pale strips are adhesive and seem happy to be removed and then put back on. The drivers are held in place with allen bolts into T-nuts in the case. Following a suggestion on AudioKarma I ran the driver upside down (didn't resolve the buzz) however when I re-installed them the correct way up, they were fine. I can only summise that some dirt/grit/matter was lodged in the gap and my messing around has freed it so it's fallen out!

Many thanks for motivating me to sort these out, even though it was somewhat accidentally resolved.

Cheers
Simon

I wish I had a wife and neighbours that were more understanding about speakers such as these.
Mine has suggested having them in the lounge instead of my PMC AB2s which (even without their stands) are bigger in every dimension.

If anyone fancies a pair they'll be in the classifieds...

Well, here's a picture of the front cover off (on the floor).
https://ibb.co/DgGgnJQ
The pale strips are adhesive and seem happy to be removed and then put back on. The drivers are held in place with allen bolts into T-nuts in the case. Following a suggestion on AudioKarma I ran the driver upside down (didn't resolve the buzz) however when I re-installed them the correct way up, they were fine. I can only summise that some dirt/grit/matter was lodged in the gap and my messing around has freed it so it's fallen out!

Many thanks for motivating me to sort these out, even though it was somewhat accidentally resolved.

Cheers
Simon

This is brilliant Simon. I will look closer tomorrow and maybe give it a go. Looks at bit messy but maybe OK. I like your PMCs as well another great speaker. These epos are magic here with my naim and other amps though. I still might add some PMCs to the collection yet though.

Thank very much for the photo will study more later on my pc. And maybe give it a gentle praise tomorrow.

I wish I had a wife and neighbours that were more understanding about speakers such as these.

My neighbours have complained and I'm detached! :D Don't be fooled by those little drivers they can make a serious amount of noise and cause trouble with some good power behind them.

Following a suggestion on AudioKarma I ran the driver upside down (didn't resolve the buzz) however when I re-installed them the correct way up, they were fine. I can only summise that some dirt/grit/matter was lodged in the gap and my messing around has freed it so it's fallen out!

I have a set of es11s with a slight buzz funnily. I didnt think it was a defective driver I put that down to perhaps dirt. I will endeavour to solve that one day as well hopefully. Glad you helped out Simon thank you

advertisement

Back