advertisement

How to Build a 3-way sealed box loudspeaker system (Part A)

James

Lord of the Erg\o/s
This piece was originally posted on the Naim Forum, but for the benefit of those who don’t visit the other place, here it is in its entirety.

The Ergo IIIs are now complete and I think there may be a few people interested in how this project went. I welcome all comments, and will attempt to answer any questions that this post might generate. Hopefully, words and pictures will be enough to start telling the whole story.

image-display

Background

Loudspeakers are inherently the most variable component in the hi-fi chain. That’s because the way they sound depends on the room in which they are housed. Besides the acoustic signature of the room (the only signature free one is an anechoic chamber), loudspeakers are voiced differently. By this, I mean the tonal attributes (shading, texture, colour, vibrancy etc) can be quite different, and not always to everyone’s liking. This is why seasoned audio maniacs demand nothing less than a comprehensive home demonstration of loudspeakers they intend to buy. I take this one step further by designing and building a pair to suit my taste and circumstance. Besides, I have found nothing that I like at a price I consider fair.

Design Brief

I want a pair of loudspeakers that connect me to the music viscerally, emotionally and truthfully. By visceral, I want scale, dynamics and vitality. By emotion, I want to understand meaning, context and experience what the singer or player is feeling. By truth, I want clarity, timbral and temporal accuracy, and even-handedness. Not an insufferable wish list, but what a challenge nonetheless.

To do scale and dynamics, the loudspeaker needs to move lots of air and be able to move it and stop it quickly. Vitality is harder to determine, but there seem to be a direct connection between efficiency and a sense of liveliness. So this means big drivers, with fast and efficient numbers. Emotional connectivity is, I think, an outcome of coherent design with properly designed crossovers for a specified complement of drivers. The scope for getting this wrong is considerably broader than it is for getting it right, even with CAD assistance. Finally, truth may be found by operating carefully chosen and good quality drivers well within their design parameters with minimal filter intervention or correction. Lastly, I wanted a 3-way system simply because properly designed, they offer far fewer compromises than their 2 or 2.5-way brethren do.

Driver Selection

There is a huge range of drivers available to the DIYer, ranging from el cheapo Taiwanese copies to stratospherically priced hand-made Skaaning Flex Units. Incidentally, manufacturers also use most of the drivers available to DIYers with few exceptions; Dynaudio being one of them, but that’s no loss in my opinion. I chose the upper middle ground across three brands.

Bass Driver – Tight and fast, and ported boxes are oxymoronic to a large extent. Sealed boxes are much better in this regard. Regrettably, there are very few large drivers that work optimally in a sealed box these days. I also wanted paper-pulp cone, high mechanical damping (Qms) for a crisp bass, and a low reach. That makes the Scan-speak 25W/8565 an optimum choice. The question was which variant? The –00 goes lower but requires a 100-litre box, whilst the –01 sacrifices about 5Hz and needs only 65 litres. Domestic acceptability dictated the –01 variant.

Midrange – The Scan-speak breaks up badly above 2kHz, and my preference for 2nd order slopes meant that I needed a midrange driver that can go down cleanly to 200Hz to pick up where the 10-incher leaves off. Few true midrange drivers will go that low, so the next best thing was a smallish mid-bass driver. Scan-speak makes an ultra-desirable 15W/4531 that would do perfectly, but alas it was a 4-ohm design and a bit too expensive for what I was looking for. Then the Seas CA15RLY made its appearance, and it seemed a perfect partner for the big Scan-speak.

Tweeter – My perennial favourite is the Hiquphon OW1. To my ears, these have the most natural sound and impeccable credentials. Since I already had two pairs on hand, it was a no-brainer choice once I knew the Seas would go high enough to cross cleanly with it.

Design Methodology

There are two parts to loudspeaker design. The physical aspect is about building a suitable box to house the drivers and is, in my opinion, the easier aspect of loudspeaker design. Considerations for the box design include volume calculations, cabinet materials and damping, assembly methods, aesthetics, and most importantly, driver alignment.

The other aspect is crossover design, and this is far more challenging than first meets the eye. First, there is the acoustic element, which is determined by the native response of the drivers in question, which is never flat. More complication is brought about by the varying roll-off rates at either end of their spectrum, and the effect the baffle has on the radiation of high vs low frequencies. Then, you have the electrical elements determined by a brace of capacitors, resistors and inductors. How these are brought together to tailor the native response of a driver to your intended acoustic target is not something that can be easily done without taking actual measurements and modelling that on a computer. Those who successfully design by ear from the ground up without CAD assistance or acoustic measurements are an especially talented lot. I don’t have such talent.

So which comes first, the box or the crossover? Well, neither actually. It’s the dummy box that comes first. That’s because in order to align the drivers correctly, one needs to know the relative offset between the drivers. Well, the purist would. Otherwise, the design CAD software can usually correct for it, but who really wants a boringly vertical slab-faced box for a loudspeaker? So I built a test-box and found the necessary offset by CAD simulation. Only then can the box be designed and built in earnest and confidence.

Enclosure Construction

I wanted a free-space design, which meant that I should aim for a total system Q of around 0.7, which gives a maximally flat response. If I erred, I’d rather err on the lower side of 0.7 than the higher, so I built my boxes based on 65 litres for the bass enclosure, and allowed for light fibreglass stuffing to kill internal reflections without lowering Q too much.

The midrange and tweeter are housed in a separate sub-enclosure to avoid the intermodulation effects of the woofer. Otherwise it would defeat the purpose of a separate midrange driver. Again, this sub-enclosure is stuffed with fibreglass to kill internal reflections and minimise leakage of internal sound back through the cone.

image-display

Aesthetics is taken care of with judicious use of Sapele, which is an African hardwood with gorgeous striations when quarter-sawn. Internally, the real cabinet is constructed from 18mm MDF, which is heavily braced.

image-display

The MDF inner carcass is bonded to the external 20mm timber cladding with Liquid Nails, which allow for some natural movement in the timber, unlike aliphatic timber glues. The Liquid Nails also serve another purpose, and that is to damp the dual-composite panels. Hence, I found no need to use bituminous gunk or mass loading trickeries to achieve a fairly inert cabinet.

The piece de resistance is the contoured baffle. Sharp cabinet edges cause ripple like diffraction of high frequencies and is a key contributor to an uneven tonal balance in the upper reaches. Round the edges with any radius less than two inches apparently doesn’t do much either. Hence, I glued three layers of 18mm MDF for the upper baffle and shaped it with an electric plane and plenty of sandpaper.

image-display

The baffle proper is routed to flush mount all drivers to the right depth. Both the midrange and bass drivers are secured with M5 bolts and T-Nuts for proper tension that woodscrews cannot reliably provide in MDF.

image-display

The tweeter is secured using woodscrews only because it is light and does not move with the same magnitude. Furniture-grade black leather cowhide covers the baffle and matches the Ergo IIIs nicely with the black leather lounge suite.

image-display

Measuring Drivers

There are two sets of measurements required for CAD work. First there is the acoustic response, which requires calibrated microphone and measurement software. My mic and mic preamp came from Germany, and I purchased a copy of LspCAD, which comes bundled with justMLS measurement software. The second set of measurement is impedance, and this was determined again with justMLS with a couple of probes and a reference resistor.

For the acoustic response to be meaningful, the drivers must be measured on their design baffle and enclosure. MLS sequences generated by a computer and fed though an amplifier are cunningly designed to minimise the effects of room reflections, enabling the designer to take quasi-anechoic measurements. A combination of nearfield and far field measurements enabled the native response of my drivers to be determined, in conjunction with the extent of baffle step compensation required.

Crossover Design

Based on published manufacturer data and my own measurements, I concluded that the optimal crossover points for my 3-way system were 350Hz and 3.5kHz using second order Linkwitz-Riley slopes. This was modelled on LspCAD and fine-tuned to minimise impedance phase and hence reactance. This process was conducted iteratively for several weeks, taking time and making the effort to get as close to the target curves as possible. When I had finally settled for the filter components, I allowed extra resistors for –1dB, –2dB and –3dB L-Pads for both the midrange and tweeter circuits. This is where voicing would be done, by ear.

The filters themselves were built and hard-wired on two separate boards. The High Pass and Low Pass for the tweeter and woofer occupy one board whilst the Band Pass for the midrange took space on the other. I was originally intending to build three separate boards for the filters, but I couldn’t be faffed trying to route wires in between vertically stacked boards. So two had to do, and putting the Band Pass on a separate board made additional sense because in an LR2 crossover, the midrange is driven in reverse phase for correct summation.

image-display

Parts used for the crossover were good quality Solen air-cores for small-value inductors and low DCR steel laminates for high values. Capacitors were selected from the Solen range and may be replaced with premium ones when I have settled on the right values. Likewise, the resistors are Eagle metal oxide 10 watters, and whilst these are more than good enough, they can be bettered for little more money.

image-display

Crossover Tuning

The selected second order transfer targets were easily achieved at the corner frequencies of 350Hz and 3.5kHz without additional shaping circuits. Needless to say, LspCAD helped find the right values to fit my desired targets, which incidentally includes baffle step compensation. However, I am aware that a flat response is not necessarily the most enjoyable or musical. Indeed, when I first hooked up the flat crossover, the upper midrange was a tad emphasised, which consequently made the music sound too forward for my liking. It was not emphasised to the point of being harsh, mind you, just a bit too energetic for my liking.

So I replaced the tweeter circuit L-Pad resistors with another set that dropped the high pass level down by just one dB. I wasn’t expecting much change, but I was surprised by how much clearer everything sounded. The spot lit effect was mostly gone, and there was better flow with the music. I’m in two minds about dropping the tweeter level by another dB, and for now, will live with this configuration for a little bit longer before deciding.

More Boxes

The final bits of construction are the crossover boxes. Again, these are fashioned from solid Sapele and sized just right for the hard-wired boards. The temporary el cheapo Dick Smith connecting cables were replaced by proper Chord Carnival, and the input connections were done up courtesy of Naim 4mm inputs and 16-gauge solid copper wire. In time, I intend to fill the crossover boxes with clean dry sand for the ultimate treatment in damping out microphony mainly in the capacitors. But I should wait until I’m sure I have got the component values correct and perhaps substitute better caps in the tweeter and midrange circuits.

image-display

Conclusion

To all intents and purposes, the Ergo IIIs are complete. So, how well do they meet my design criteria? I estimate they deliver 90 percent of my visceral demands and roughly 85 percent of my emotional and accuracy criteria. On that score I am more than happy when I consider the effort, cost and thinking that has gone into the design, and the enjoyment I derived from executing the plan.

The real measure of success is how they play music. To my ears, they are almost everything I have ever wanted. Stevie Ray Vaughn’s Tin Pan Alley has dynamics galore when the kick drums and rim shots are fired. When the Magnum is ‘fired’, you are left in no doubt it was a very loud and sharp slam. Jack Johnson’s Flake has such a nicely rubbery bassline that it could be easily overdone in a system that emphasises the upper bass. On the Ergo IIIs, it underpins the song without drawing attention to itself, whilst Jack’s melancholic voice is carried with full body and soul. My latest CDs includes Eleanor McEvoy’s Yola, Eva Cassidy’s Time after Time, and Susan Tedeschi’s Wait for Me, and through the Ergo IIIs, they do the classically seductive female vocal thing, and yet when Tedeschi struts her stuff, you know there is real energy behind her performance. In a sense, she’s like a latter day Riatt.

To date, two other pairs of ears have heard the Ergo IIIs and I am very pleased with the feedback. I wish I could invite more around to my place for an audition, but alas, it’s not exactly a taxi ride for most of you. But if you are ever in my neck of the woods, please feel free.

Closing Comments

Designing and building your own speakers is not for the faint-hearted. It takes a bit of studying, a bit of imagination, a bit of clarity of what you want, and a healthy dose of patience. Oh, and woodworking and soldering skills help too. If you are up to it and have the good fortune to do it well, almost nothing would give you the same feeling of satisfaction as designing and building your very own truly limited edition loudspeakers. Maybe a DIY house would beat it, but it’ll be a tough contest.

Along the way, I’ve learnt a great deal about how loudspeakers work and debunked (in my mind at least) a lot of myths and half-truths. If I ever buy another pair of manufactured loudspeakers again, it will be done with a level of scrutiny to the design and excution that I have never entertained before. Then again, the chances are I’ll never buy another pair of mass-produced loudspeakers. I mean, can you really buy a pair of these for less than GBP1K?

image-display

James

A few comments:

1. I assume you meant to say HIGH Qms = LOW mechanical damping.

2. Don't share your hang-up with ported alignments; I agree with Martin Colloms that these can be as tight and fast and tuneful if correctly designed. One man's tight bass is another's constipated bass. Ported boxes have a free-breathing quality that is attractive.

3. As for upgrading crossover components, I have found that Mills resistors and Audiocap (now replaced by Sonicap) capacitors from Soniccraft made a worthwhile improvement for a relatively modest outlay.

4. One interesting phenomenom came to light when I listened to the E-3's: initially I found them a tad slow, lacking in attack and bass light. By about the third CD, these characteristic s had disppeared, confirmed by replaying the first disc. Seems the speakers need a good warm up to perform, my theory is that heat from the voice coil warms up the spider and reduces its stiffness.

5. I listened to NMA's wonderful Impurity, and was well satisfied. 'nuff said.

James,

I have tio say that the E-3s look superb. A couple of questions....

Could the design be adapted to work against a rear wall? If so how?

What are the external dimensions?

Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

Could the design be adapted to work against a rear wall? If so how?
Yes, indeed it can. To do this, the system Q is lowered closer to 0.5 by increasing the enclosure volume and/or stuffing the box more tightly (up to a point). This will cause the bass response to taper off earlier but more flatly and in conjunction with boundary reinforcement, result in an evenly extended bottom end.

The second thing that will be required is to increase the level of the mid and tweeter since baffle step is reduced. Mine are currently padded down about 3dB relative to the bass so taking that off will even up the bass response.

I must stress that I had designed this pair as a free-standing system and it may be easier to design another for wall mounting, selecting perhaps a different bass driver more likely to give you a system Q closer to 0.5 without the need for a huge enclosure.

What are the external dimensions?
295mm (W) x 420mm (D) x 1050mm (H)

James

Rusty,

1. I assume you meant to say HIGH Qms = LOW mechanical damping.
Yeah, that's what I meant ...
Don't share your hang-up with ported alignments; I agree with Martin Colloms that these can be as tight and fast and tuneful if correctly designed. One man's tight bass is another's constipated bass. Ported boxes have a free-breathing quality that is attractive
Ported enclosures have two common problems. They are more difficult to tune correctly, and the roll-off rate (24dB/oct) don't complement natural room gain as evenly as a sealed system. This is one reason why the wrong ported box in a wrong room can sound horribly one-notedly wrong. Sealed boxes are more forgiving in this respect. Sealed boxes do kick drums better, but I can concede that ported boxes might do a more impressive facsimile of a pipe organ.
Seems the speakers need a good warm up to perform, my theory is that heat from the voice coil warms up the spider and reduces its stiffness.
I asked this question on the Mad Forum and I'm torn between something physical happening and something psychoacoustic. The funny thing is Shahreza noticed the same thing happening, after around 15 minutes. Maybe it's a running in thing, but when it's on-song it's fantabulous. When 'cold', it does sound a little untogether. Hopefully, the effect will wear off in time.
I listened to NMA's wonderful Impurity, and was well satisfied. 'nuff said.
From a man who knows what he likes and understand what it means to be Flat Earth, this is a powerful endorsement. Thank you.

James

Hi james

Great stuff! I would be most grateful if you could tell me exactly what gear you bought ...i.e the mic and what software and what each of this stuff cost you.

Out of curiosity...how low does your -01 go? Also....How low would that -00 go?

I ask as I am very interested in building something like you have, just cant afford to do it just yet as I have just done some NCC200 boards and currently are doing some VBE boards and have just bought a CD63SE.

I am very interested in building a sealed box 3 way system. I guess I might be strange, but I like Large speaker boxes. But they have to be of a certain proportion to look good.

To give you an example of what I mean...I have borrowed a family friends old tannoy monitor golds in lockwood cabinets.

They are 55cm wide by 45cm deep by 1m tall. I think they look great and when they are this size and scale, they have a certain presence in the room. And they are like "friends" to me and the room....not some piddly lil box on sticks.

They have 275 L....so....thats why I ask about the -00's.
So..what can a -00 do in a large box?

Also....next wacky question....can I use this bass driver with the drivers from a pair of Linn Kans? At least to start with?

Cheers

Mark

Mark,

I would be most grateful if you could tell me exactly what gear you bought ...i.e the mic and what software and what each of this stuff cost you.
The CAD program is LspCAD and it can be purchased directly from the developer via the net here . I recall I paid around USD100 for my copy, which is the standard version and includes justMLS software for measurement. The calibrated mic and preamp came from Germany. I forget who, but Ingemar Johanssen (LspCAD) will be able to direct you to them. The mic/preamp cost me around USD150.
Out of curiosity...how low does your -01 go? Also....How low would that -00 go?
Both the 01 and 00 variants have a free air resonance at 19Hz. How low they go loaded by a box depends obviously on volume and room gain. Mine are flat to 32Hz in my room, and will deliver a 25Hz note audibly.
They have 275 L....so....thats why I ask about the -00's.
So..what can a -00 do in a large box?
The 00s need around 130 litres each to attain a maximally flat alignment (Qtc = 0.707). With 275L, you'll be approaching a critically damped alignment (Qtc = 0.5). The 00 in such a box will go down to 20Hz easily in a typical room.
can I use this bass driver with the drivers from a pair of Linn Kans? At least to start with?
As long as the KEF110s are rated at least 85dB/w, I cannot see why not. But if you are planning to substitute the drivers for others in the future, you'll effectively have to redesign the crossover and in all probability rebuild the baffle to accommodate drivers with different flange diameters. It's better to outline your design criteria, as I had, and go through the logical steps of:

(1) Selecting the drivers of choice and seeing how they might complement each other (at least on paper) from various angles, e.g. tonal characteristics (deterimed by cone material), sensitivity, bandwidth, etc.

(2) Then building the cabinets to load the bass driver correctly, and separate housings for the mid.

(3) Finally, designing the crossover based on measured data and fine-tuning by ear in your room.

Good luck,
James

Speaker Workshop can do the measurements you need. It can also optimize crossovers, but the user interface is a bit clunky and you have to work out some techniques to get round the products interface problems.

If you've got a sound card with a decent microphone input, then you can get Panasonic WM-61A microphone capsules from digikey for under a GBP10 a pop. These have a flat enough response from 200Hz to 10Khz to design a crossover. You can use these stock two wire or cut a trace and use them in a three wire config with power coming from the middle pin on the jack. (If running two wire, solder the end and middle pins together, the sound cards contain the necessary resistor and capacitor.

(That said, I use a seperate preamp!)

It should be possible to measure the response of your PC soundcard output and microphone input by sticking the output through a big resistor.

Richard,

However, the question is - do you trust your capsule and/or microphone input? Believe me, you need to trust them!

Linearity has to be referenced somewhere. The preamp transfer can be calibrated with the reference signal. The soundcard can also be calibrated likewise. But it all has to start with a known reference, and this is where a calibrated microphone pays dividends. Mine is probably nothing more than a Panasonic capsule on a fancy aluminium rod, but the calibration data that came with it to enter into justMLS is what makes the difference. FWIW, the raw performance of the microphone was up to +/- 2dB at the extreme ends of the frequency spectrum. Calibration enables measurements to be taken with precision from 20Hz to 20kHz. That said, there must be a DIY way to calibrate microphones ...

James

Providing you already have a calibrated microphone. Simply measure something using your calibrated microphone, and calibration curve. Then measure using the uncalibrating microphone.

Adjust the reference so that it is the same level as the uncalibrated microphone. The divide the signals (subtract the dB) and you have a calibration curve for your capsule.

Richard,

If I already had a calibrated mic, why would I need to calibrate another? And if I bought an uncalibrated mic, why did I bother if I had to have a calibrated one to get its curves?

I was thinking more along the lines of ... I need a fairly accurate set of weights and I have a set of measuring vessels and lots of water.

James

P/S: Perhaps I should make up a few calibrated mics (for spares or sale) while my original copy is still intact and reasonably fresh :)

If you can find a wand supplier, you could buy the capsules for peanuts, attach them to the wand and solder on the wire and you have a US $100 calibrated microphone to sell.

The alternative method would be to use a known speaker and compare curves, this would only be good for anechoic conditions though* and wouldn't be as accurate as sample variations between the speakers would become an issue.

*Maybe a good quality pair of headphones mounted almost touching the mic capsule would be a good sound source. Someone would have to buy a batch to check the consistency and you also have a possible problem with magnetic interference with the microphone.

**How flat is your capsule uncalibrated from 400Hz to 8Khz? This is the important range for designing two way crossovers, so you can just about get away with a Panasonic running typical correction. I am intending to buy a fully calibrated mic/amp setup for peace of mind though.

I was wondering about natural white noise sources, perhaps the Victoria Falls?

Or a welding torch? I'm sure there's something everyday that generates real noise and that could be taken out into the middle of a field. A battery powered hairdryer?

Paul

Richard,

How flat is your capsule uncalibrated from 400Hz to 8Khz?
According to the calibration file, it's flat at 400Hz and about 2.2dB down at 8kHz. By the time it gets to 20kHz, it's just over 5dB down.

James

advertisement

Back