advertisement

How to avoid paying duty on an item sent out of the EU for repair.

paul rich

pfm Member
Hi,

Let me be clear, i am not doing anything dishonest. I have bought my DAC and paid duty etc already.

Now it needs a out of warranty repair and I don't have to pay duty for that kind of export. However as far as I can see I need to apply for Outward Processing Relief via an 8 page form. I've looked at the form and I believe only a tax expert would know how to fill it in correctly.

Its a Teddy DAC-VC and it needs to go to Israel. The remote control feature on the DAC itself is faulty.

Am I missing something here, surely it cant be that hard?

Paul

I was talking to a guy in our local Post Office parcel depot a few weeks ago about import tax. He said that previously they would only see the occasional parcel being taxed but nowadays they seem to be hitting everything that comes in. Point being, they are getting greedier and avoiding the tax is harder. I certainly know that I'm getting taxed on more things these days than I used to.

…………. Point being, they are getting greedier and avoiding the tax is harder. I certainly know that I'm getting taxed on more things these days than I used to.

Vey strange logic indeed - the PO enforcing the law is down to them being greedy...….. It's not as if they get more than a transaction fee, the duty and tax are exactly that. What makes this form of tax evasion acceptable compared to others?

I have to say that I was expecting a 3-figure bill a few weeks back, but the parcel was missed.....

Vey strange logic indeed - the PO enforcing the law is down to them being greedy...…..

Buying things from far away to save a little money is one of life's little rebellions. It gives you a fuzzy feeling and makes you feel mildly heroic for a few hours. Feck them for trying to take that away! ;0)

^^^ LLLOL

I have to say that my parcel being missed was a source of relief rather than elation though.

If it is out of warranty anyway would it not be cheaper to see if someone in the UK could fix it?

I have to say that my parcel being missed was a source of relief rather than elation though.

I wouldn't mind so much but the 'tax' is often completely over the top and fighting it is not easy. I was once taxed on some t-shirts I bought from the US and they taxed me more than the t-shirts cost. They just think of a number.

……………... They just think of a number.

For good or evil, that is exactly what the law allows.
If there is documentation to cover cost or value, that is the first figure that they should use. They should then determine if the figure is realistic. If it isn't, in their opinion, the duty can be levied on what is deemed a realistic value.

My parcel that got through had a wad of documents attached that detailed all costs, accurately.

I can imagine that there are a team employed to go through mail but the system not being allowed to hold anything up for more than 36? 48? hours, or whatever. Anything unsorted at the maximum time, just goes through.

I can imagine that there are a team employed to go through mail but the system not being allowed to hold anything up for more than 36? 48? hours..

I've had stuff held up longer than that. Plus, to add insult, I've had to go and collect it. So you're paying exorbitant tax on an item and they're not even doing the job they've been paid for!

I don't use the Post Office or Parcel Force anymore. Too hopeless.

Get an RMA number from Teddy and on the customs declaration you state the value as zero and that it is a repair item.

HMRC rarely gets arsey with this approach and we use it all the time to get kit replaced or repaired by Cisco in the US but the correct one is to use RGR (returned goods relief)

advertisement

Back