advertisement

How near is your nearest vineyard?

Many acres of vines have recently been planted 4 miles from here, along the south face of the North Downs in Kent. We are looking forward to our first bottle of Chateau Maidstone.
Just down from my old home in Kit's Coty, off Bluebell Hill, they planted a large vineyard that produces very expensive chardonnay.

You could start with:
Black Chalk
Exton Park
Gusbourne
Nyetimber
I went through a similar exercise a few years ago. I concluded that the UK now produces good sparkling wines, but they cost more than the equivalent French bubblies.

Just down from my old home in Kit's Coty, off Bluebell Hill, they planted a large vineyard that produces very expensive chardonnay.
We've had it. Very nice, although I think, like a lot of Engl;ish wine, there's still an element of paying a premium for the rapidly fading novelty.

Kit's Coty is about 5 miles away from here by MTB and 11 miles by car. The A249 and A229 are between here and there.

They seem to be popping up all over now, and they’re as far north as North Yorkshire, at least. It must be getting to the point down south where everyone has a local vineyard.

Ours, Burnt House Vineyard, is just under a mile away. The business appears to be flourishing, and they’re even planning to build some holiday accommodation on-site.

There’s one in Holmfirth although I’m not convinced it’s ever grown any actual grapes. That’s around 20 miles away.

Yeah. You Brits basically invented it.
Yes we did. The so called méthode champenoise is a British invention by a Mr Merret(t) about 20 years before Dom Pérignon claimed the crown.

This is one of our several vineyards in East Sussex near us and their Bacchus is really good.

DV

I went through a similar exercise a few years ago. I concluded that the UK now produces good sparkling wines, but they cost more than the equivalent French bubblies.
Yes, indeed. I started buying sparkling wines direct from the Nyetimber vineyard when it was owned by Stuart and Sandy Moss who had started it up from scratch. In the 1999 pages of my cellar book I use the word "astonishing" against a chance purchase of the Classic Cuvée 1993. Then there are orders direct from the vineyard. The 1992 Chardonnay is described positively but I preferred the Classic Cuvée.

Nyetimber has changed ownership at least a couple of times since that time. I am not sure that has benefited quality. However, there are many more good English sparkling wines now. Even so, for both the inexpensive end of the market and the luxury end I still mostly buy Champagne. But I do buy some from England such as Ridgeview and Camel Valley.

I don't know English still white wines at all.

I have not yet found a good English red wine, although I have tried a few.

We've no vineyards near to my place one Speyside - but certainly plenty of distilleries.

Last edited:
Off the line
Henners
Hidden Spring
Rathfinney

My son worked a year at Rathfinney, and a good friend of ours is one of the vineyard managers there. It's truly lovely to have these places around, but sadly I'll always prefer red!

advertisement

Back